Alternative style of hog hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK here is my question. Most I've seen post on here run on to them accidentally, or have put out bait, etc.

According to all of the hog hunting experts on this and other forums, they are nocturnal.

I also know they move with the food, and are not like deer with core area's, etc.

Anybody tried hog drives? It would be like deer drives back east mainly, where a row of hunters enter the woods, with shooters at the other end.

Its a tradition in the East and NE for deer. Almost sounds dangerous to me, but still, has anybody actually beat the heavy nasty stuff with a crew and driven the hogs out to shooters?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We once did in a narrow band of timber in a canyon. But it was by accident, we went to the shooting range adjacent to it. After shooting a few times, we saw the herd running out the north end. We hopped in the crazy buddy's truck and he wound that Cummins out running em down across the pasture. He ran over a few and I finished a couple with my .357sig.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drives would work. In fact, I know a few people that do that around here. They seem to hole up in the nastiest terrain you can find here in daytime (wood & brush piles) and move all over the place at night.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Most serious hog hunters I know use dogs, then cut the hog's throat.

I would prefer to shoot them, myself.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Driving is not as dangerous as you might think so long as the people you are doing it with aren't total idiots. If one gets by you, let it by, or wait til its good and by you before you shoot at it. Its when you try and shoot at pigs that are lateral, or nearly lateral to your drive direction that accidents are likely to occur.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whew...thanks be to the maker...when I first saw the title I read it as "Alternative Life-style Hog Hunting"!! :bigeye:
My hair just about turned white.
:pms2:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one was from a drive in the Sugar Creek Bottom in Caddo County. Works real well if you have a narrow creek channel to keep them hemmed in. They ran several out on this drive but this one was the only one that we got a clear shot at.

i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Coyotes08016.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom