Alzheimer's question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can you get an elderly person who will not stop driving that really needs to be off the road to stop? This person will go buy another car if its taken away, and refuses to go to a home or stop getting out and about.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you can get Doctor's orders that will take driving privileges away. My aunt recently went thru this and I will try to find out more about how it was done.
PS: as a personal aside, please do everything you can do if the person in question really should not be driving; I recently lost a dear friend who was killed while riding her bicycle by a man whose wife admitted that he had been "driving erratically lately", as well as "running into things a lot lately".

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who's to say he needs to be off the road?

The on coming traffic, not to mention women and children everywhere.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. I lost a good friend to an elderly driver just a few weeks ago. Even his wife said he had been "running into things a lot, lately". I'm rarely very serious, on this forum, or in my everyday life, but this issue strikes very close to home.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes this person can come home with the front end ripped off the car and has no clue what happened. Take the keys or the car, and she will be at a dealership the next day...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad when it comes to this. Older folks cars are their last freedom, but its not good for the rest of the population when they get to that level.
My Grandmother had her car hijacked by her son for these same reasons. She was over a mile from home using her walker when the police found her in response to a missing person report by my mom that went to check on her. They didn't have silver alerts in those days. Its was supposed to be a 24 hour time frame before they would look, but mom worked for the city, and got a break.
They took the car home, and put a piece of paper in the coil slot on the distributor so it wouldn't start. I guess she was ok with it being there, even though it wouldn't start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom