Alzheimer's question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's our problem this person can gather her bearings to do things like call and get her car fixed, but can put chicken in the microwave and forget about it for a week. Somehow she can find her way home but can't remember my name and can tell me the same story ten times in the same hour.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Can you get power of attoney to control the money? Then when it's repair time, say no money for that.
If there's an electric garage door opener, you might disable it, then leave a note where ever you disable it instructing the repair people to call. Or maybe install a keypad opener. I have one of those. Someone with a little skill could install it and put the button out of sight somewhere, then reprogram the remote code. If it's a newer car may be the dealer can disable the computer. Take it in for a tuneup and drive it home park it and then it refuses to start.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, you have my prayers. Went through this with my mom. She would literally drive onto sidewalks because she couldn't tell where the road ended and the curb started. Totalled 3 cars in 2 years. She ended up having strokes that ended her driving. Dennis is right, this is there last semblance of independence and control. I believe you can go to the Drivers License Bureau and have a mandatory test done. I was checking into that when my mom had her stroke. Either way, this is not the only struggle you are facing right now, and I know it is difficult. Are you sure it is Alzheimers or dementia? The reason i ask, is her Doctor may be able to help also.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gillman, I don't mean to put you on the spot, but, in practical terms, what's the difference between Alzheimers and ordinary dementia?
My sister is a PhD type scientist, and we talk about this stuff every week. What do we do? Doctors don't really seem to be any help at all.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ill have to find out if the daughter has power of attorney over her funds, the only sibling left is the adopted daughter. she still lives in her own house and seems to make it on her own at home fine. i know the daughter has control over some of the funds. The tag office called the other day beacuse she has bought a tag for her car 4 times last month........

Latest posts

Top Bottom