Alzheimer's question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough situation... If she can afford to just go out and buy a new car like that, then perhaps some in-home assisted living might be an option?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gillman, I don't mean to put you on the spot, but, in practical terms, what's the difference between Alzheimers and ordinary dementia?
My sister is a PhD type scientist, and we talk about this stuff every week. What do we do? Doctors don't really seem to be any help at all.

Not sure I really know. With Alzheimers it seems to be the memory that is affected most, and from what I understand with dementia, it affects judgement, and reality. They are both degenerative, but I think dementia affects all facets of being self sufficient. Both are horrible, I think Alzheimers they realize their deficiencies more?

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My siblings and mother discussed this at great length in regards to my father. Finally, we just took the keys and told him he didn't drive anymore, and acted like it was no big deal, implying to him that he hadn't driven for years. At that point in his dementia, he knew he was having trouble keeping facts straight. Maybe unfair, taking advantage of his failing memory, but it was a solution we could all live with.

KilkennyArms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We put my mother in-law in a retirement center for active adults. No one there can be immobile. No wheel chairs etc. We talked her into trying it by paying the first month fees and she loves it. We told her try it for 30 days and we will help you move home if you don't like it. It is like a cruise ship on land. Meals prepared for the members, Limo drives them to doctor etc. Only $1750.00 per month.

She wanted to take her car so we took it and it never moved for 90 days until she said sell it I have a limo and driver. :)

Took the sting out of losing her own car. In OKC it is called, "Village on the Park"...

Just picked her up for "Thanks Giving" she stayed about 3 hours and wanted to go back for a yoga class!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.oulifestagesolutions.com...ementia.aspx?gclid=CO-Ltamc7bMCFQf0nAodkWIA-Q

Dementia is the loss of mental functioning that interferes with a person’s daily living. Dementia is not a disease itself; it is a group of symptoms that accompanies certain diseases or conditions. Symptoms might include changes in personality, mood, and/or behavior.

Alzheimer’s disease causes 50-70% of all dementia. The first symptom of Alzheimer’s disease is forgetfulness. This forgetfulness is severe enough to affect work, social life, etc. Other symptoms include confusion, trouble organizing and expressing thoughts, misplacing items, getting lost in familiar places and changes in personality and behavior.

My grandmother's sister progressed very rapidly though Alzheimer's and to death. She was about 10 years older than my grandma. My grandmother has started down the same path and it is heartbreaking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom