Am I Married...Legally???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hypothetical...but it aint looking good. We don't have any joint accounts or bills. No husband and wife proof. Never an agreement to be married. Joint tax return and living together is about the only thing

Im just trying to get my ducks in a row just in case

thanks for the above...that was fast and exactly what I needed.

We have 2 kids

IANAL but this is Oklahoma and if I were her attorney (assuming she wants part of your stuff) I'd be bringing those two kids up big time. IMO y'all are married in every way except having paid for the license and I imagine that a good attorney could make the courts see it that way too.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks everyone. I am pretty confident that we would be declared as married. We have been in a monogamous relationship since I was 16...so nearly 14 years now, have 2 kids, remodeled a house together that we now are raising our family in.

Honestly though, this Isnt a bad thing and would give me leverage in case she tries to pull anything silly with the kiddos.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice--if you, or her, are anywhere near filing divorce papers--get the advice of a good lawyer. As a defacto common law married couple, you, as the father, have visitation rights that she cannot easily take away, but you need this written into a document that only a lawyer can properly prepare. Don't try to save some money by "working things out" between yourselves--this will only end up costing you much heartache and much money on down the line.

QFT. Take this to heart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom