Would you travel to CO right now or in the near future?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I drive through Illinois I do not stop at all, except for a bathroom breaks (a couple of times made it through without having to urinate) in the last 20 years. Illinois does not allow firearms outside your vehicle if traveling, and not spending money so that they get tax dollars on is the guiding principal. I realistically know that it isn't going to make a difference.
Perhaps you by yourself won't make a difference, but I do the same. I won't send a dime in Illinois, the only thing I leave there is trash and bodily waste.
I have cousins that do the same.

There may be more folks "boycotting" Illinois than some realize.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the homeless are thick up there last time I was in the springs, but they are easy to avoid. Colorado springs is good place to base out of...everything is an easy drive.

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing all these news articles about Denver specifically. We hadn't booked things yet, but were gonna do Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs this summer. While not Denver we were gonna try and catch a Rockies game. Do Garden of the Gods, raft the Gorge etc, but I am wondering what the rest of the state will look like in 4-5 months? I'll have my wife, 2 HS'ers, 2 college aged kids, and a 2 year old if that makes a difference. Gonna have to research the gun laws and mag restrictions before I travel if we go forward with it.

ETA to add for those not paying attention. Not going has nothing to do with politics or gun laws, but the current migrant crisis. Transient issue there is out of hand, and along with that comes crime, for example the 4 who beat up the NY cops the other day. Denver Mayor has stated the city is at a breaking point, and thought some members may have more info or insight as to what is going on there. My wife and I will be traveling with my teenage son, possibly his GF, my college aged daughter and her BF, and my two year old toddler.
As far as gun carry laws in CO, I don't see an issue. CO and OK have CCW reciprocity agreements if you are licensed in OK.

A permit to carry a concealed weapon that is issued to a person (who is at least 21 years of age) by another state will be considered valid in Colorado if the other state, in turn, recognizes Colorado's concealed handgun permits. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6]
Also from the Colorado Public Safety website:
Can you have a loaded handgun in your vehicle in Colorado? Yes. Colorado state law permits people to have loaded pistols and revolvers in a vehicle. A CCW Colorado permit is not necessary for vehicle carry.

g54b16psi

Marksman
Reaction score
Seeing all these news articles about Denver specifically. We hadn't booked things yet, but were gonna do Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs this summer. While not Denver we were gonna try and catch a Rockies game. Do Garden of the Gods, raft the Gorge etc, but I am wondering what the rest of the state will look like in 4-5 months? I'll have my wife, 2 HS'ers, 2 college aged kids, and a 2 year old if that makes a difference. Gonna have to research the gun laws and mag restrictions before I travel if we go forward with it.

ETA to add for those not paying attention. Not going has nothing to do with politics or gun laws, but the current migrant crisis. Transient issue there is out of hand, and along with that comes crime, for example the 4 who beat up the NY cops the other day. Denver Mayor has stated the city is at a breaking point, and thought some members may have more info or insight as to what is going on there. My wife and I will be traveling with my teenage son, possibly his GF, my college aged daughter and her BF, and my two year old toddler.
I live in Denver. I know two friends (one who works for Denver Parks and Rec and one who does contract work for Denver Urban Renewal - helping low income homeowners with siding repairs, windows, handicap ramps, etc.) who have been directly screwed by this 'sanctuary city' BS. My first friend - everyone was supposed to get a raise in 2024. That got canceled because the city needs the money for the immigrants. My second friend - all the jobs have been canceled because the city needs the money for the immigrants...Retired vet who needs a handicapped ramp? - too bad. Immigrants are more important than you are. Downtown is terrible. Encampments are all over the place. You see homeless smoking meth right there on the sidewalks - they just throw a blanket over their heads to 'hide' it. The camps get broken up from time to time but they just pop up somewhere else. In an effort to get the homeless off the streets, Denver has purchased at least two hotel properties to move them into, one of which was an Embassy Suites less then a mile from my home. There is police activity there all the time. The liquor store that's about 300' away has experienced a massive amount of grab and run theft, including adults going in with children. While the adult is being told by the clerk or owner that the kids can't be in the store, the kids are filling their coats with booze. We have the highest rate of car theft in the country (last I checked) because the city will not prosecute property theft, nor are you allowed to use deadly force to do so (obviously carjacking or breaking and entering are protected). So, if you come outside and someone is in the process of trying to steal your vehicle, cut off your catalytic converter, etc., and you shoot them, you're the one going to jail most likely, because the city has decided criminals have more rights than you do. Same goes for looting and shoplifting. The stores don't even try to stop them. You can go to Lowe's and literally push a shopping cart with $2K worth of merchandise right out the door and load it into your vehicle. Just about everyone I know has personally witnessed either food or other retail theft like this, myself included. There are several locations of chain stores around me who have closed their doors because the losses from theft were so bad (Big Lots and Hobby Lobby). Everyday, I see more than one car that doesn't even have license plates or tags of any kind. About 1/3 have expired plates (3 years is not uncommon to see) or a temporary paper plate that has been on the back of the vehicle so long it's literally disintegrating and is completely unreadable. About 40% of all the drivers here do not have any insurance. The sanctuary city thing was not a ballot issue. People here are pissed off. You can't just open your doors to thousands of immigrants like this. The city will go broke trying to pay for it, or else they'll raise taxes to make the citizens pay for it, making them suffer in the process. And for what? They had a hard life in their country, so let's let them live here for free and support them and make everyone who actually belongs here suffer? I have lived here a long time, and this place is turning into a steaming pile because of these policies. Most people in the state are conservative, but some cities are not, and that's where the votes come from. If I lived in Pueblo, or the most remote corner of the state and far away from anyone else, at the end of the day I am still goverened by liberal laws that are passed because of the votes from Denver. Pueblo is about 50% / 50% politically. Colorado Springs is about 60% conservative. Denver is insanely liberal. Boulder might as well be Berkley, CA in 1969. Ft. Collins is a little more than 1/2 liberal. I could write another 5 pages on the almost daily attacks on the 2nd amendment here. Oklahoma is looking pretty good to me. I'll take my chances with tornados.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Most people in Colorado" are NOT conservative. Colorado is just like WA or OR or many other states. The population centers in the state (the urban areas) where most of the people live are very leftist. It was already that way when I left there in 2015 and it's just gotten worse. In terms of land area, most might lean conservative. But that doesn't matter. What matters are the people. I still have many friends there and they complain about it all the time but won't/can't leave for various reasons which I understand.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent a week or so around lake vallecito since the early 70’s. My grandparents retired out there. Kept going for years even after they passed. Won’t go into downtown Durango any more though. The panhandlers won’t leave us alone. They all want $7 to buy a gummy.
Odd, I’ve never had that issue there. Had it in okc daily, and every major city I’ve traveled to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom