Amateur Radio Classes in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any? I'm looking to invest in a good communication setup, but have no idea where to start. I think I like the MURS stuff, but would like to learn more about radio's in general before making a decision. Right now, all the numbers and acronyms mean nothing to me. I have had suggestions on "what to buy" from other forums, but would like to understand more, so I can make my own decision.

What I'm wanting:

I would like to be able to have a few hand held devices that can be used with each other, while keeping the conversations as private as possible. I have been in a situation where there was so much FRS traffic that I couldn't communicate with a specific individual. I would like to avoid that if I can. I don't need any crazy ranges either. 1-2 miles would be plenty.

Thank you,

Jake

Last edited:

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice tests on QRZ.com, take them for a few weeks and then go get your tech license. The licenses are retardedly easy to get these days.

MURS and ARES are a waste of time. Ham radio does not need anymore whackers or wanna-be cops.

If you plan on getting the technical knowledge to operate your equipment, get a license, otherwise stick to CB/FRS. MURS/ARES people are not very welcome on the amateur bands with the exception of Skywarn and NWS related stuff. Ham radio is a service/hobby for technically minded people and engineers who can operate in the case of an emergency. If you are wanting to buy a rig and push the talk button, you're looking at the wrong hobby.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never claimed to be a whack job or wannabe cop. MURS was something that was suggested to me. Again, I have no experience when it comes to radio's and would like to learn as much as I can to make an educated decision. I work in IT and feel like I am a pretty technical guy. However, this is a field I am not familiar with. I guess I should have stated my "needs" for a communication setup.

I would like to be able to have a few hand held devices that can be used with each other, while keeping the conversations as private as possible. I have been in a situation where there was so much FRS traffic that I couldn't communicate with a specific individual. I would like to avoid that if I can. Thanks for the QRZ website; I will check that out.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never claimed to be a whack job or wannabe cop. MURS was something that was suggested to me. Again, I have no experience when it comes to radio's and would like to learn as much as I can to make an educated decision. I work in IT and feel like I am a pretty technical guy. However, this is a field I am not familiar with. I guess I should have stated my "needs" for a communication setup.

I would like to be able to have a few hand held devices that can be used with each other, while keeping the conversations as private as possible. I have been in a situation where there was so much FRS traffic that I couldn't communicate with a specific individual. I would like to avoid that if I can. Thanks for the QRZ website; I will check that out.

If you're into IT, check out packet radio and APRS, you'll probably find them to be pretty neat. The test is a pool of questions, so if you take the practice tests over and over again you can memorize enough to pass a tech test without any problems.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were a whacker, but too many people buy flashy orange lights when they buy their first antennas, lol.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm wanting:

I would like to be able to have a few hand held devices that can be used with each other, while keeping the conversations as private as possible. I have been in a situation where there was so much FRS traffic that I couldn't communicate with a specific individual. I would like to avoid that if I can. I don't need any crazy ranges either. 1-2 miles would be plenty.

Thank you,

Jake

2m or 70cm would work fine for this, even HT's would give you a 10+ mile range, more if you use a repeater. Keep in mind that NO conversations are private and using any kind of code (or even encryption on data traffic) is specifically forbidden by the FCC. If you use simplex your conversation is somewhat private unless someone happens to be scanning the band.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're into IT, check out packet radio and APRS, you'll probably find them to be pretty neat. The test is a pool of questions, so if you take the practice tests over and over again you can memorize enough to pass a tech test without any problems.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were a whacker, but too many people buy flashy orange lights when they buy their first antennas, lol.

No worries. And I understand that there are plenty of "those guys" out there. I'll look into that. Question though, what exactly is HT and 2m/70cm? Dumb question I'm sure. And thank you for all the information thus far. I've learned a lot surfing the web, and this thread has contributed to that as well.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just know also that the radio services you are looking into are any thing but "private". Anyone with the appropriate radio receiver and/or scanner can listen in.....

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom