Amateur Radio Classes in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a few websites for ya.

As far as your privacy question. You'll never be completely private. But with ham radios, you can use ctscc codes that only allow someone to hear you if they have the same one programmed, and there are many to choose from and you can change them easily. And yes, it is legal to use. It still doesn't keep someone out of your conversation, but its highly unlikely anyone will waste time searching for your ctscc codes.

You might want to re-think your CTSCC code comment, I think you have an error. If you set up a CTSCC transmitter code, you will be transmitting and everyone can hear you on that particular frequency, along with the CTSCC tone in the background. The only exception would be radios that are tuned to that particular frequency AND are set up to only open their squelch for broadcasts with a different CTSCC code in the background.

That radio would ignore any broadcasts on that frequency except ones that the CTSCC code matches. Repeaters are set up this way to keep unwanted signals out of them. One failure of this system is that if a CTSCC transmitter opens the squelch on a CTSCC receiver on that frequency, then any other transmitter on that frequency can be heard on that radio with no CTSCC code as long as the first transmitter keeps the squelch open.

There are several computer programs that can be hooked to some radios that will scan frequency ranges and display activity and any CTSCC code with those transmissions. I have one that scans the entire 2M band about every 2 minutes or so and stores the results. I am using an older Yeasu FT-100D with a laptop connection for that. It is great for Fox hunts with a 13 element beam.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to re-think your CTSCC code comment, I think you have an error. If you set up a CTSCC transmitter code, you will be transmitting and everyone can hear you on that particular frequency, along with the CTSCC tone in the background. The only exception would be radios that are tuned to that particular frequency AND are set up to only open their squelch for broadcasts with a different CTSCC code in the background.

That radio would ignore any broadcasts on that frequency except ones that the CTSCC code matches. Repeaters are set up this way to keep unwanted signals out of them. One failure of this system is that if a CTSCC transmitter opens the squelch on a CTSCC receiver on that frequency, then any other transmitter on that frequency can be heard on that radio with no CTSCC code as long as the first transmitter keeps the squelch open.

There are several computer programs that can be hooked to some radios that will scan frequency ranges and display activity and any CTSCC code with those transmissions. I have one that scans the entire 2M band about every 2 minutes or so and stores the results. I am using an older Yeasu FT-100D with a laptop connection for that. It is great for Fox hunts with a 13 element beam.

Most newer HT's can PL/CTCSS scan without even needing a laptop. It's primarily so that you can figure out repeater's PL's when traveling I suppose.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if HAM is what I'm really wanting to get into. It does sound very interesting and I would definitely want to do it right and not half ass it. Right now, however, I was/am just looking for a couple of handheld PTT devices that are not on the standard FRS channels. I am looking for something that most people don't use, or a way to program the devices to have "private groups" and possibly one-on-one conversations with someone in the group without the others being able to hear. This feature (if it even exist) would not be used all the time, but it would be nice to have it.

Here's an example of a situation I was in and would like to try and avoid in the future. -- I was at the D-Day park in Wyandotte, OK where they do WWII reenactments and there were over 3,000 people there. Most had FRS radio's and it was next to impossible to try and talk with anyone in my immediate group because of all the traffic on that system. I would like something that would prevent this situation from happening again. Either, by using a system that most people don't use, or by using a system that allows "semi-private" communication. Either would be great. Also in this reenactment, at some point during the event, most of the FRS channel's were "blocked" by a constant squelching noise. They had mobile radio centers that were designed to interfere with opposing communications. Again, I'm trying to learn this radio stuff. And y'all might think my reasoning is silly. That's why I didn't mention it before. However, the above description is why I am looking for a specific comm setup. Thank you again.

-Jake

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're sure this was deliberate, it would be illegal, I think.

It was definitely deliberate. All FRS radio's were basically useless by the end of the day. There were the ref's and a few other guys that were still able to communicate, but I don't think they were using FRS radios.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I was mistaken. I guess that would only work if he had a closed repeater. I'm always open to furthering my understanding of ham radio. kd5, your pet peeves are only keeping you from enjoying it anymore. I learn more as I go, and enjoy it more as I learn.

There's also the MURS frequencies and radios. http://home.provide.net/~prsg/murs_faq.htm. I know from monitoring that Walmart and some oil well services around here use these instead of the frs/gmrs radios.

Latest posts

Top Bottom