Amazon Prime...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't watch much prime content, but we save big on expedited shipping and they toss us an occasional free kindle book as well as have lots of stuff free in the kindle store for prime members. I've read and enjoyed some quirky off beat scifi stuff that I never would have seen if it had not been free, or 99 cents to buy.

I have netflix and HULU, plus Apple iTunes. Anything that we feel is worth paying a premium for we will buy a season pass to it. Recently ended was Deadliest catch, we currently have Defiance and Falling Skies, Doctor Who is starting this weekend then in October the walking dead. In a year we'll pay for a dozen shows roughly $480, the TV portion of our cable bill was almost $200 a month, and we still payed for netflix and hulu so yeah I would say we are coming out ahead.

For football if it's not available broadcast then we'll go to a bar that's showing the game, college we go out for the OSU games and Pro we go out for the Saints games.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roku with Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix. With an internet connection that can handle constant streaming I don't go without something to watch. May not be newest content around but everything combined is still better price wise than a TV provider for me.

story of my life. I have more tv and movies than is even possible for my family to watch

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't watch much prime content, but we save big on expedited shipping and they toss us an occasional free kindle book as well as have lots of stuff free in the kindle store for prime members. I've read and enjoyed some quirky off beat scifi stuff that I never would have seen if it had not been free, or 99 cents to buy.

I have netflix and HULU, plus Apple iTunes. Anything that we feel is worth paying a premium for we will buy a season pass to it. Recently ended was Deadliest catch, we currently have Defiance and Falling Skies, Doctor Who is starting this weekend then in October the walking dead. In a year we'll pay for a dozen shows roughly $480, the TV portion of our cable bill was almost $200 a month, and we still payed for netflix and hulu so yeah I would say we are coming out ahead.

For football if it's not available broadcast then we'll go to a bar that's showing the game, college we go out for the OSU games and Pro we go out for the Saints games.

If you didn't know, you also get access to a library where you can check out books for free, read them, and you can get another after you "return" that book. You have to have a kindle to do it I'm pretty sure. Their app doesn't support the library thing where you can check them out for free....or at least I haven't figured out how to do it if you can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000739811

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
story of my life. I have more tv and movies than is even possible for my family to watch

That's us. We don't go to the movies all that much anymore. Why pay $50 to get dressed and sit in a nasty, germy theater with a bunch of strangers, eating overpriced popcorn (the popcorn was is in the price) when you can watch it in your underwear at home the month after it opens for $5.99 on Directv?? And even then we find we don't usually pay for that price ... just wait for it to come out on HBO ... or Starz ... or any of the other cable channels we have ...

I dropped my ATT phone last year and went to RepublicWireless ... saved us $40 and I have a better deal than GC has with ATT (unlimited talk, text, internet for $20/month compared to his unlimited talk, text and limited internet for $50/month).

But even Directv is overpriced for what we use it for these days ... I can hardly wait for that contract to be over ...

I'm about to become the Queen of Cheap ... :naughty:

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon packages land at our doorstep at least three times a week so that's where Prime more than pays for itself with us. We use their Prime streaming stuff occasionally but it is very limited selection.

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Prime shipping at least once a week as well, sometimes 3-4x weekly. I need to plan better, lol. If I didn't have Prime, I'd lose my arse on shipping.

I have an Amazon Fire box as well. I am on the fence about the Prime stuff... I can usually find something to watch, though, and I've spent alot of time watching Prime stuff over the last few months. Although I've rooted my Fire box and sideloaded XBMC onto it, as well as Google's Play Store. It's been fun (and frustrating) trying to mess with some of it. I have a Roku as well, and it sits there never being turned on. The XBMC lets me watch stuff from my computer through the Fire box, using the Fire remote (which rocks) and a very nice interface. You can do the same with Roku, but I thought the interface blew chunks. And I have the Roku2, so no ethernet, limited by wireless speeds.

Anyways... I love my Fire box, though it's not the be-all and end-all.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I've got an extra PS3 since I bought my PS4. Sounds like everyone is saying AP is ok, but not great. That's not bad news as the shipping is where the real savings lie.

Only thing I'm missing will be the live sports. I end up yelling at the TV more often than not anyways, maybe that will help keep the peace this year. we'll see.

I've heard of the Fire TV, but have not looked into the reviews. We'll see how moving the PS3 into the lvg room shakes out first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom