Amazon Prime

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Prime worth it if...

1) I don't stream video
2) I don't listen to music
3) I don't care if my orders take a week to ten days to ship?
That depends.

How many orders do you place, and does the shipping for those add up to the cost of the membership? Or would it be close enough that the faster shipping would be enough of a convenience to you that it would make up the difference?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have it an it has saved me a ton on shipping costs. And I get my stuff quick. Amazon instant video sucks though. Half the shows I want to watch I still have to pay for them. Even though prime is supposed to have that service included.

audiophile

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Love Prime. Many times needed something quick and couldn't find locally. Always go to Amazon and find it as a prime eligible item. Have ordered prob 2 dozen things this year alone. You can also share your prime with family so that they can get the free two day as well. The additional memberships are not eligible for the streaming features however.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That depends.

How many orders do you place, and does the shipping for those add up to the cost of the membership? Or would it be close enough that the faster shipping would be enough of a convenience to you that it would make up the difference?

Perhaps one order every couple of months. Usually there's free shipping if I opt for the longer delivery time, which I do. Even then, the orders usually arrive within a week. So on that basis alone, Prime isn't worth it for me.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love it, and have had a Prime membership for several years (since long before they upped the annual cost from $79.00 to $99.00). Have no plans to cancel it unless they make a significant price hike - which is exactly what worries me; that they're getting everyone good and hooked on it and then will hike it to $200.00/year (or more). We use it for the free two day shipping; deliveries on Sunday at no additional cost (which is through the USPS, by the way - Amazon must be paying them a pretty penny to work on Sundays); free Amazon Music streaming; free Amazon Photo (unlimited storage of all photos); and the video services. Plus you can share the Prime membership with another adult of the same household as the primary account holder at no additional cost. And if any item promised to be delivered in two days isn't, just call their customer service and they'll extend your Prime membership for a month.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Prime worth it if...

1) I don't stream video
2) I don't listen to music
3) I don't care if my orders take a week to ten days to ship?

No, it's not. Not even a little bit.

It's also not worth it if you:

1) Don't stream video (due to having a metered internet connection)
2) Don't stream music (due to having a metered internet connection)
3) Have a PO Box and because of that USPS will not deliver packages to your physical address. You can't use a PO Box for the "free" 2-day shipping, so you have to put a physical address to get it. Amazon then ships it however they want, including UPS Basic/FedEx SmartPost, which use USPS for last mile delivery. So most of your stuff winds up getting sent back to Amazon because the Post Office goes "Oh, yeah, we don't deliver to that address. Oh, we know which PO Box it belongs to, but since the PO Box is not on the package, it's undeliverable." Then you have to wait for a refund, re-order it, and select the long shipping option where they'll let you use your PO Box anyway.

And that, ladies and gents, is why I had to cancel my Prime account and get a refund on it.

For most people who order a lot of things from Amazon or who want to stream music and movies, Prime is great. For people like me, it's a waste of $100.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3) Have a PO Box and because of that USPS will not deliver packages to your physical address. You can't use a PO Box for the "free" 2-day shipping, so you have to put a physical address to get it.

Which is one reason I rented a box at a UPS Store many years ago. I got the smallest (read: cheapest) box they offer; they accept all packages delivered to me at that physical location that won't fit in my mailbox (which is pretty much all of them). UPS; FedEx; USPS all deliver packages to me there because it's a business with a street address. Plus they gave me a key to the front door so I can check my box for mail even when they're closed (can't pick up packages after hours, 'cause those are behind the roll-down gate that separates the mail boxes from the rest of the business).

Latest posts

Top Bottom