ANOTHER Harley Davidson Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am probably going to be buying a Harley from a guy very soon. He has only had it one year. Last winter he ran the motorcycle empty and then let it set with no gas. He filled it back up when riding season came about. Am I going to have injector problems as a result? OR any problems that I should be concerned about?

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great question. Kinda dumb on his part... Has he ridden it much this season? The great part about these air cooled motors are the heat really burns off the bad stuff if you use good clean gas. A problem would be quick to see if you do a test ride. If the bike doesn't have solid power through the RPM band or if you experience coughing and spitting, I'd think you are ok. Did it have Oil in the motor all winter? That is more important as it would have helped ensure the seals were solid and won't leak.

If I were to buy it, I'd put a 7 day notice on the sale, or have him get the local HD dealership do a full service on the bike. They would help identify any issues.

What model is it and how many miles?

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a Heritage Softail. 2002 with 40K on it. Yes it had oil in it. I haven't got to see it yet but I will be paying attention to your suggestion. The miles don't concern me I know it has been taken good care of prior to that time. It has its 40K inspection at Fort Thunder and seems to have checked out good at the time. The storage took place after the 40K worl was done.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so it's an older 88. That is a little different. With the age and mileage, I would be interested in the wear of the cam chain tensioners. They are known to wear and the chain is different from the 96" version. These parts in the cam chest can make the motor louder as well as wear out. 40K miles, although not a lot for the motor, could be something that you will work on in the next 5-10K miles. This is not for sure, as some have 60K miles, but just want to point that out.

With the age, I'd take it on a long hard test ride before dropping cash. Also based on all the options on the market, I'd look somewhere south of $7K for the bike. I don't care how much "custom" work has been done, it doesn't translate into increased value.

Good luck.

J

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of those too. Bought the Harley because I couldn't get anymore power out of the Honda... No one said a Honda is bad. They both have a place on the road. Some just like Harley's batter.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, you Harley types, please explain some things to those of us who just don't "get" the whole Harley thing.

1. What the hell is this and why? Dude puts on apehangers to say, "Hey check me out mofos. I don't follow the laws- I MAKE the laws." Then what, the wind gets to be a drag so you put a windshield in front of those goofy-ass handlebars?!?
[Broken External Image]

2. How the @#$% can you guys ride with those crazy forward controls and why would you want to?
www.harley_rockers.com_2009_Rockers_images_ev0039_2009_HD_Softail_Rocker_C_468x456.jpg

3. Seriously? I see these streamer things on little girls' bicycles at Target. You really want that?
[Broken External Image]

4. Is it absolutely necessary to move your feet up to the highway pegs between stoplights?
5. Will your bike idle?
6. Are those obnoxious pipes really necessary?

Hopefully you know I've just poking a little fun at you guys but you are an easy target!

Latest posts

Top Bottom