Another IT, WiFi dilema.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
searching for answers here before I start cruising the nerd sites!!

I have a two story house basically 1000 sq ft box on top of another 1000 sq ft box, 4 main rooms up and 4 main rooms down. Stick construction.

My modem/router (2wire - "G") is in one corner of the house upstairs hooked directly to the XBOX, because I don't have a wireless adapter for it.

When I have several items online (3-4) I loose signal down stairs.

If I were to use a repeater at the opposite corner of the upstairs, would this help. (I have one on the way - an airlink)

Other options are placing the modem/router somewhere else and buying a wireless adapter for the xbox or using powerline adapters to the xbox.

Anyone have placement ideas or hardware ideas (cheaper the better).

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could try a repeater. Or, if you can remove the antennas on your wireless router, you can look for some higher gain antennas to put on it. ( I call them pipe bombs because they look like a stick of 2/4-1" pvc).

In all honesty, the wireless routers you can buy at Bestbuy arent really meant to be household routers. They are more suitable to smaller apartments or just getting a signal into the next room. Looking at a higher end access point would be the best option, but that can a little pricey (talking about symbol or motorola).

I am not sure what would be cheaper, repeater or antennas. Its been several years since I last did anything noteworthy with wifi.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks and welcome back Whiteymac.

one problem is this AT&T 2wire modem/router doesn't have an external antenna.

I've looked at the motorola modem/routers and might go that route if the repeater doesn't fulfill my needs.

Might consider using a ethernet bridge for the xbox. every option (bridge or powerline) seems to be about the same price range, unless I change out the modem/repeater with a motorola.

Are the motorola netopia routers any good, or are they just small area coverage models?

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can go to Best Buy and buy a 2wire modem with built in wi/fi and its an N router. I have two blu-ray players with netflix, 2 laptops, an ipod touch, and a desktop all hooked wireless to it and have never lost a signal. Everything functions as it should. This modem/router is specifically designed to be used with AT&T.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can go to Best Buy and buy a 2wire modem with built in wi/fi and its an N router. I have two blu-ray players with netflix, 2 laptops, an ipod touch, and a desktop all hooked wireless to it and have never lost a signal. Everything functions as it should. This modem/router is specifically designed to be used with AT&T.

Model number?

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the house was not wired for CAT5?

2 story houses are a challenge to re-wire later, not impossible.

The ideal thing would be to run CAT5 from all the locations you need Internet / Network back to a central closet and put the Router / DSL modem there.

I just spent 2 days doing this but it was a 1 story house with an attic.

If all else fails, you can run the CAT5 on the outside of the house and use a long 3/8 drill bit to come through the walls. Caulk around the cables outside and put cover plates on the inside to dress it up.

The 2Wire DSL Modem / Wireless Ap's that AT&T issues do not broadcast a very strong signal. I would suggest disabling the Wireless AP in the 2Wire and going with a new Router.

The Netgear N routers are pretty good.

http://powershift.netgear.com/Produ...relessRoutersforHighPerformance/WNDR3700.aspx

If you run cable to a down stairs location you could add a second AP there. Just make sure you turn off DHCP, NAT, Firewall etc on the second router. You want it running in AP mode only.

If you want to stick with a 1 AP setup. Look for something with removable antenna's like the Linksys WRT54G v1-4, WRT54GS v1-3 or WRT54GL. The GL is the only one still in production and you'd have to order it online.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Pick up a corner antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HiGain-Directional-Corner-Antenna/dp/B0000DIET2

Put the Corner upstairs in the outside corner with a slight down tilt, pointing in toward the center of the house.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 2Wire DSL Modem / Wireless Ap's that AT&T issues do not broadcast a very strong signal. I would suggest disabling the Wireless AP in the 2Wire and going with a new Router.

This.

I think they also have a device limit, because I ran into that same thing at my parents' house with all devices in the same 10x10 room.

Getting another router like a Linksys and plugging it directly into the modem will cause the 2wire to see only one device.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can bridge your existing modem router, and connect it to a different router. Few setting changes have to be made, cant just plug a router into a router and it work. Bridging like I mentioned, or turning dhcp off on the router, just turning it into an access point works also. I recommmend Buffalo, which also works very well as a repeater.

fluffernutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
having multiple items connected to it shouldnt affect the signal at all. if you get signal initially then you should never change signal levels unless you are moving around with your laptop. It IS, however, possible that you just have a cheap router that overheats or just locks up with a lot of traffic. that happens with some of the lower end netgears and belkins.

sounds like that is just the router that came with your ISP, you should look into bridging another router like BigFug said...

Latest posts

Top Bottom