Any Drone pilots on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Commercial is probably a whole different ball game.
I can't understand why it would be if I'm flying under 400' and 5 miles from any airport.
I just downloaded the app again, I did have the wrong one. As soon as I opened it I got a message that said there was a new firmware update that when installed would limit altitude and distance to 30 meters and 50 meters respectively...wtf would I want to do that? The update is optional so I'll pass lol

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to buy one to fly as what I think is a cool hobby. The Supreme Court has ruled they don't have to be registered, as of now.
I have two of the mini's that are about 4" in diameter and they are a POS basically. They run out of signal at 50 yds, and you watch your $40 fly out of sight. I did recover one though by walking out the field in a pattern.
Looking for one that has auto return when it senses low battery life, GPS capabilities, 1080P camera with record and live video viewing, and gyro hover.
In simple terms something that just about fly's itself.
Who has one and what do you recommend when buying one?

Close. It was the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Because the DC Circuit has authority over federal agencies, it's ruling upon those agencies is binding nationwide (as opposed to the geographical restrictions that usually apply to the numbered circuits), but it's still just a circuit court. The distinction is important because Administration can petition for a re-hearing in the same court en banc (the entire court, instead of a panel of three judges), and can appeal to the Supreme Court (though I doubt that the Court would grant cert on such a petition, as the law is pretty explicit on this point); were it a SCOTUS ruling, it would be final.

Last Friday, May 19, the District of Columbia circuit court agreed with John A. Taylor's assertion that the FAA does not have the statuary authority to issue the 2015 Registration Rule in which owners of small unmanned aircraft operated for recreational purposes must register their equipment with the FAA.

Circuit Judge Kavanaugh wrote, "Taylor is right. In 2012, Congress passed and President Obama signed the FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Section 336(a) of that Act states that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.” Pub. L. No. 112–95, §336(a), 126 Stat. 11, 77 (2012)(codified at 49 U.S.C. §40101 note).The FAA’s 2015 Registration Rule, which applies to model aircraft, directly violates that clear statutory prohibition. We therefore grant Taylor’s petition and vacate the Registration Rule to the extent it applies to model aircraft. " [Emphasis mine; see above about the law being "pretty explicit."]

The FAA released a statement saying, "We are carefully reviewing the US Court of Appeals decision as it relates to drone registrations," it reads. "The FAA put registration and operational regulations in place to ensure that drones are operated in a way that is safe and does not pose security and privacy threats. We are in the process of considering our options and response to the decision."

The finding is based on an earlier use of the term 'model aircraft' which included UAVs at the time. The court opinion said Congress may or may not choose to amend the 2012 rule.

The court's decision does not impact registration for commercial drones.
https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/FA6F27FFAA83E20585258125004FBC13/$file/15-1495-1675918.pdf Emphasized so everybody can see and read the actual ruling, which is definitive on the matter.]

See the link to the court's ruling immediately above.

Mine came with instructions to register it. $10 for hobby use and $15 for commercial use. I was going to make some extra cash doing real estate photos for a friend but then I read that I must take a test at FAA. A 2 hour test with 60 questions at a cost of $200? Screw that. It said failure to do so could lead to a $250k fine if caught. Just for photographing houses for cash? WTF?
A recent ruling. Your drone may have had that instruction sheet included before the ruling.
I don't have the exact text in front of me about the ruling, but I think they encourage registration but can't require it.

Dennis is correct about the instructions being out of date with regard to registration of model aircraft. This is a two-pronged statement: 1) it applies to registration of model aircraft; it doesn't address pilot/operator licensure, and 2) "model aircraft" has specific meaning within the Act, to wit:
Taylor v. FAA said:
The Act codified the FAA’s longstanding hands-off approach to the regulation of model aircraft. Specifically, Section 336 of the Act, called the “Special Rule for Model Aircraft,” provides that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.” Id. § 336(a). The Act defines “model aircraft” as “an unmanned aircraft that is — (1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; (2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes [emphasis mine].” Id. § 336(c).
Id. at 4-5.

Note that third prong of the definition of "model aircraft;" when you start flying it for commercial purposes, it ceases to be a "model aircraft" under the text of the statute that gave us this ruling in the first place (note also the second prong; sorry, FPV guys).

I can't understand why it would be if I'm flying under 400' and 5 miles from any airport.
I just downloaded the app again, I did have the wrong one. As soon as I opened it I got a message that said there was a new firmware update that when installed would limit altitude and distance to 30 meters and 50 meters respectively...wtf would I want to do that? The update is optional so I'll pass lol

Commercial is probably a whole different ball game.
Chenry, dennis, as you both note, commercial use is different, and that's not just FAA interpretation, it's written right into the statute (see my previous cite to the opinion, which directly and accurately cites the statute).

The reason I mentioned pilot/operator licensure is that there's also a licensing process for those who would fly UAVs in commercial service. See https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/ (first group of links on the page) for information. Commercial work has always (or nearly always; perhaps not for the first few years of aviation, when the Wright brothers were still signing licenses, but certainly in the practical era) been different from private, and "commercial" is quite encompassing: anything for which you get paid (the exception being expense-sharing, such as fuel or rental cost, but that is strictly limited to a pro-rata share).

Anything I missed?

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So anyone running a phantom 3 standard, I have some issues I'd like to discuss with a pro. The app isn't letting connect. Seems the app is different than what I saw on the YouTube tutorials.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So anyone running a phantom 3 standard, I have some issues I'd like to discuss with a pro. The app isn't letting connect. Seems the app is different than what I saw on the YouTube tutorials.

The reviews on the phantom 3 standard on their website had the same comments. The latest version was causing the issues. They were cautioning folks to not upgrade their apps to this version.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reviews on the phantom 3 standard on their website had the same comments. The latest version was causing the issues. They were cautioning folks to not upgrade their apps to this version.
There are 2 apps when I seach for DJI GO PRO. One says DJI GO 4-For drones since P4 and the other say Before P4. The first one doesnt list my model of drone and the other one does but its nothing like the app I saw on this youtube tutorial.

Latest posts

Top Bottom