Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To date, my success rate is 100%...

Like I said in my first post, if conditions are not perfect, I do not touch the trigger...

I hunt within a 60 mile radius of Vinita. The places I shoot deer are at the edge of tree lines or fence lines, where I have been given permission to shoot. When cattlemen move one herd to a new pasture, they will call me and give a three day pass on their land for shooting deer or coyote and I have no less than six areas like this. I set up at point "A", range out to point "B", make my scope adjustments and wait for a shot. No, it's not this cut and dried. There is a lot of work and planning in setting up a place to shoot long range...

Before moving back here from Mississippi, the guys I built rifles for trained to shoot, regardless of deer or horn size, we would NEVER shoot a deer inside the 600 yd. mark and shoot from 600-1,200 yds.. Next time I get on the computer, I'll detail out how we had our places fixed, where we would shoot deer...

Calibers -

300 Weatherby Magnum / 180 gr. Hornady A-MAX...

7mm STW / Sierra 160 gr. B. T. Spitzer...

300 Jr. / Hornady 168 gr. A-MAX...

6mm-284 / Sierra 100 gr. B. T. Spitzer...

All barrels 30" long or longer...

Barrel diameter 1.250" to 1.450"...

All guns built around blue-printed Remington 700 actions, set up as single shots...

All stocks were McMillan Tooley MBR - factory weighted to 10 lbs...

Jewell triggers - 6 oz...

Scope bases with 20-40 moa taper...

Scopes - high magnifications from 45X to 60x...

I am building two "long-range" rifles now, and will post pictures of them, once I have all the work on them completed....

DAVID

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never mind, you posted before i put mine up....questions answered.

Attachments

• simmonsscope.jpg
    simmonsscope.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 2011-03-1250calshootsheverport1.jpg
    2011-03-1250calshootsheverport1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 237

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
D&T i have no problem with you killing deer at 1000 yds,my hat is off to you thats good shooting and it takes alot of practice and knowing you gun to pull that off,there is alot hunters out there could'nt hit the broadside of barn at 300 and still shoot at deer,correct me if i am wrong because i am reading between the lines a little,but it sounds like you are setting yourself up for long shoots instead of trying to get as close as possiable without spooking game,if i get to 100 yds of where i expect to see deer without alerting them of my presents then thats what i am going to do even though i can kill one 99.9% at 200 yds.,i feel like if your setting yourself up for a long shot just so you can see if you can kill one that distance,then to me your just using deer for target practice,which in my opion is wrong.but if i seen a buck at 1000 yds that i would want to take and i knew i could make that shot i would take it,but i sure would never go out and say i will sit here because i can get a 800 yrd shot here,but hey each to there own

Latest posts

Top Bottom