Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T i have no problem with you killing deer at 1000 yds,my hat is off to you thats good shooting and it takes alot of practice and knowing you gun to pull that off,there is alot hunters out there could'nt hit the broadside of barn at 300 and still shoot at deer,correct me if i am wrong because i am reading between the lines a little,but it sounds like you are setting yourself up for long shoots instead of trying to get as close as possiable without spooking game,if i get to 100 yds of where i expect to see deer without alerting them of my presents then thats what i am going to do even though i can kill one 99.9% at 200 yds.,i feel like if your setting yourself up for a long shot just so you can see if you can kill one that distance,then to me your just using deer for target practice,which in my opion is wrong.but if i seen a buck at 1000 yds that i would want to take and i knew i could make that shot i would take it,but i sure would never go out and say i will sit here because i can get a 800 yrd shot here,but hey each to there own

I DO purposely set up to shoot deer at extended ranges. This is something that I have perfected over the years with literally thousands of rounds fired at ranges from 600 to 1,800 yds....

Like I said before, if I'm gonna shoot a deer up close, I use my crossbow. And talk about getting close, I shot a nice 8 pt. at a measured 3 ft. 6 inches with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. So close, that I got a face full of blood when I shot the deer. Yeah, I can, have and do shoot them up close and personal but, I prefer to shoot one out as far as I can, knowing that I MUST have to make a clean kill...

I do NOT use deer for target practice! That is wrong and I will not be guilty of such. I like deer meat as much or more than the next guy and like I keep saying, if I feel I cannot make a clean kill, under no circumstance will I shoot - EVER! There will always be another day, another deer and another opportunity....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My interactive targets are as follows:

600 yds. - 12 oz. soda pop cans...

700 and 800 yds. - quart motor oil bottles full of water...

900 and 1,000 yds. - gallon milk jugs full of water...

Nothing scientific, just fun to shoot. You can also watch these "targets" explode, while still looking through the scope. This is one reason I like a muzzle brake on some of these rifles...

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Bears_20280_20Ackley_20Improved_030.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_016_2.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_308_20and_20264X444_20Improved_011.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_001_3.jpg

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think I am going to stop calling my gun a "heavy barrel"....

My version of build and yours are very different, I guess I should have said that I set up a rifle, lol.

I like your targets, I will steal that idea.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I am going to stop calling my gun a "heavy barrel"....

My version of build and yours are very different, I guess I should have said that I set up a rifle, lol.

I like your targets, I will steal that idea.

The barrel on my 243 W-E shown with the 600 yd. targets is 1.450" diameter and the gun as you see it, weighs 29 lbs....
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_031.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_243_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_036.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My .280AI is not so handsome, but just happened to be in the right place and right time and walked away with it as pictured for under $500. It's harvested two does one just over and one just under 600y. We setup for them as well like you did.........just not as far!
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_130426_.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom