Any other Stephen King fans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The Stand is one of his best. I quit reading after he got sober. when he was in lala land, the details were so much better.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think "The Shining" is one of the most genuinely creepy books ever. I tried to watch the movie, but I didn't like Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the main character. You actually feel for the guy in the book. The novel is so much more richly detailed, the movie leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.
I also really, really liked "The Dead Zone", "Salem's Lot", "Wizard and Glass", and "The Body."
I absolutely loathed "Gerald's Game". Hated it. Except the last page. I also hated "The Cell" and "Dreamcatcher." Waste of time.
He's not the same since sobering up.

Still, anyone who reads avidly should at least check out the classics.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read King for a long time. The Stand was the first book that I read of his when it was new. My Mom would read them and pass them on to me. Almost cried when I finished Christine, great book. Read "IT" twice. Took a hiatus after he got hit by the car and have been more into Marcinco, Stephen Hunter, Robert Ludllom, and John Ross' "Unintended Consequences".

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer his earlier stuff - the really early stuff when he was paying homage (some might say outright copying) HP Lovecraft and then his not-quite-so-early stuff like Salem's Lot which I think is a great modern vampire tale that preserves some of Bram Stoker's original, The most recent vampire stories in the bookstore are absolute trash in comparison.
BTW - I would offer this recommendation. An earlier edition of the stand will be considerably shorter because in recent editions SK is just too big a rock star for an editor to cut his book down at all. I like King but he really overindulges himself now (by now I mean in the last 10-15 years) that he alone can edit his work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom