Any restrictions in buying and shipping ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan to visit a friend in another state who happened to have some extra ammo. I plan to buy it from him and ship it to myself.
Anything wrong with this idea? Any restrictions I am not aware of?
Thanks.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see you have not received a reply from some more experienced posters, so I will start with this. I should be receiving a bulk shipment of ammo from a supplier by Fedex in a few days. All they needed a CC number and shipping address. I do not know what they have to deal with concerning Fedex on the other end.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see you have not received a reply from some more experienced posters, so I will start with this. I should be receiving a bulk shipment of ammo from a supplier by Fedex in a few days. All they needed a CC number and shipping address. I do not know what they have to deal with concerning Fedex on the other end.

Thanks for the reply. I have done the same.
My concern is whether I am allowed to buy ammo in another state and if I am, whether I can ship it to myself. I'll be flying and I don't want to bring the ammo in the plane.
I am pretty sure it's OK, just trying to verify it.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless it is a huge amount there should be no problem. Send it by ground only, fedex or ups is good. It is prohibited by usps (no supprise)
if you declare it as ammo then they might want to hit you with the hazmat fee ($35 for ups) but if you just say merchandise they will not question you as to what kind.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless it is a huge amount there should be no problem. Send it by ground only, fedex or ups is good. It is prohibited by usps (no supprise)
if you declare it as ammo then they might want to hit you with the hazmat fee ($35 for ups) but if you just say merchandise they will not question you as to what kind.

Thanks.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, from your responses I take it that I can legally buy ammo in another state while visiting and then ship it home.
Thanks.

That might depend on the state.

I was in Mass. during the primer shortage under Clinton. Found a couple thousand primers in a shop and dropped it on the counter to check out. They asked for my Firearms Owners ID card. huh?

He couldn't sell me primers without the State ID card.

Had a copy of my FFL with me and that worked, but without it I wouldn't have gotten the primers.

Dave

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That might depend on the state.

I was in Mass. during the primer shortage under Clinton. Found a couple thousand primers in a shop and dropped it on the counter to check out. They asked for my Firearms Owners ID card. huh?

He couldn't sell me primers without the State ID card.

Had a copy of my FFL with me and that worked, but without it I wouldn't have gotten the primers.

Dave
same with Illinois and a few others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom