Any TV diagnosis/Repair Experts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a very nice quality 50" Philips Plasma flat screen TV. It's just turned 5 years old. The only thing worng with it is it won't turn the heck on! I can't get the dang thing to power up with either the remote (and no, I am NOT using a cordless phone by mistake) or the button on the side of the thing. I tried a different power cord and a differnent wall plug too. Still no juice. Any one got any ideas? I paid $1,400 for the damng thing and watching a dead screen is no fun.

I am not electronically inclined, not all all, so unless it's something simple and relatively cheap, I'll heave the damng thing and go to Wally or Sam's and hafta buy a new one. Sure chaps my azz; 5 years and it gives up the ghost?

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bout all you can do is take the back off and see if you can find a fuse. It will look like a small 3AG auto fuse and may have leads soldered on the board. If it fixes it it will be just blind luck as usually fuses blow for a reason but worth a shot before you trash it or take it to a shop.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the newer TVs don't have power supply fuses anymore. If you got 5 years out of a Philips, then you did pretty good, they have a 40% failure rate within 1 year.

That said, it can probably still be fixed if you want to mess with it. A power supply for that TV is likely to cost less than $100. It's still a bit of a gamble without some diagnostics, but if you really like the TV, then your call.

If you decide to trash it, holler at me, I will take it and try to fix it. If you want me to try to fix it for you, I will do that as well.

I would suggest either a Samsung or a Vizio. For the record, Vizio is actually an American company. They are built in Taiwan and mexico, but still. I REALLY like my Samsung.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find an easy fix. Likely that the power module somehow went out. Might be able to get it replaced for a couple hundred depending on how expensive the part is. I had a similar thing happen on my Mitsubishi after I ran it on my crappy generator for a while. With strorms, crappy power glitches and the like, it's not all that unusual. Did you have it on a UPS or Surge?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the newer TVs don't have power supply fuses anymore. If you got 5 years out of a Philips, then you did pretty good, they have a 40% failure rate within 1 year.

That said, it can probably still be fixed if you want to mess with it. A power supply for that TV is likely to cost less than $100. It's still a bit of a gamble without some diagnostics, but if you really like the TV, then your call.

If you decide to trash it, holler at me, I will take it and try to fix it. If you want me to try to fix it for you, I will do that as well.

I would suggest either a Samsung or a Vizio. For the record, Vizio is actually an American company. They are built in Taiwan and mexico, but still. I REALLY like my Samsung.

I'd be tickled if you could fix it for me and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg, I see you can buy a new one (50") for just over $500 now.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the power supply. I've had mine replaced in my Samsung plasma under warranty, but I saw how much it would've cost: $423. Of course, that's grossly outrageous, but just for your reference.

crxman91

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had a tv do that, i took the back off and found something like this
1.bp.blogspot.com__GeO9YxOG9m0_Tkl0e5jmKfI_AAAAAAAAAP4_a4_psU5lwu4_s1600_IMG_6810.jpg
un soldered it and took it to radio shack and got a bigger one, soldered it back in and it fixed it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom