Anybody Laid Hands on S&W's New 22LR AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sights are standard height and yes, they will co-witness with any red dot optic that would normally cowitness with standard AR sights.

The sights, front and rear, are able to be removed.

Primary Arms has affordable, Chinese made red dot sights (in the M3 and M4 variety) that appear to get high praise from the AR-15 and Rimfirecentral forums. I have no personal experience with them yet.

It comes with a polymer quad rail, so you can attach anything on it that you would normally attach onto an AR - sling attachment, rail covers, forward grip, light mount, various tacticoolish things, etc.

The best thing about this model is the functional bolt release feature. I think it is one of, if not the only option out there that currently has the bolt release feature, so as far as controls go - it is exactly like an AR. (Whereas the Colt model does not have a functional bolt release. Nor does it have a 90 degree safety selector.

Hopefully, this weekend Silenttim and I will mount some optics on it to see just how accurate it can be. I'll report back on the results as soon as I can.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now if S&W will just ramp up production on them. I have a line of people, myself included, wanting one but can't get any right now.

Why is that thing not threaded yet???

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey BigRed, I'm assuming that since it has a bolt release that the bolt locks open on an empty mag. Is this correct?

It is indeed correct. Bolt locks back. Everything on it functions exactly like an AR. The only thing that I wish they had done differently is the plastic charging handle. I wish they had made it out of metal. That is really the only thing I don't like about it.

As far as issues, there have been a few freak reports of extractors flying out of the bolt. I have heard of 3 such individual cases on AR-15 and RFC. S&W sent out new extractors to the customer in each case, which they received in like 2-3 days. No word on whether it is an actual issue or just fluke coincidence. There are always some lemons with any product. We'll see if it becomes a problem in time. S&W has one of the best customer service departments in the industry, and this isn't something that my life is depending on, so I am not too concerned that it will become an issue.

As far as ammo goes, everything I've read says that Winchesters and CCI works 100%. Federals have worked 100% of the time through mine.

Almost universally, Remington GB will not run well through it. This is both from my own experience and from almost everyone online. Upon visual examination, the bullet design of the Rem GBs, compared to Federals and CCI, have a small ledge that may be the cause behind feeding issues when entering the chamber.

Now if S&W will just ramp up production on them. I have a line of people, myself included, wanting one but can't get any right now.

Why is that thing not threaded yet???

No kidding on the threaded barrel! Would make life a lot easier.

My understanding is that they came out with the non-threaded version first so that they could sell it in those markets that don't allow threaded barrels. Supposedly they'll be coming out with a threaded model, but who knows when that will be. I plan to have mine threaded as soon as possible - once I have time to find someone to do it that is.

---Edit---
And have I mentioned this yet on this thread?

I LOVE this gun!!! and yes, I did play carpet commando...but only once...or twice... :gun2:

I have already shot more rounds through this thing in the one weekend that I've owned it than I shot through my Noveske in the whole year that I owned it. Think about it - 1 30rnd mag of .223 costs more than 550 rounds of .22lr. If you're looking for cheap fun, it cannot be beat.

.22lr is my new favorite caliber. :)

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Synthetic lower, I think the stock was intergrated into the lower, and not interchangeable with ar stuff as much as the colt.

While the "buffer tube" (there is no buffer) is an integrated part of the the lower receiver, the stock itself comes off just like an AR stock and can be replaced with any mil-spec AR stock that uses a stock tube.

silenttim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish they would add on a forward assist. That would have helped a couple of times last weekend when we ran into a few partial failure to feed's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom