Anyone catching Blues or Flatheads lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Headed out Saturday night to try and scrounge up a few bigger Blues or Flatheads, anyone had any luck lately? If so what were you using for bait? We've had the best luck with cut perch ( sunfish) on the lakes lately. I got a few new rigs put together and hopefully get on some once the sun drops down

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_202714543.jpg
    IMG_20220705_202714543.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3

JT708

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't caught diddly squat lately, all I fish for is perch that I use for flathead bait, rod and reel only and bank
fishing Caney river. Wild life department says Oologah is good below the dam.
Good looking rigs you have there . Out of 40 some odd rods and reels I don't have 2 alike but they all work
for what I use them for.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a couple of identical reels, but on different rods.

Kind of like guns, got one, get something different.

Waurika Lake been a bit slow, in this heat. Live perch and shad is about all they are taking, in deep water.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had bought two of those Daiwa sealine 47H reels off eBay from a guy in Michigan who used them on the great lakes & after talking to him got him to sell me a 3rd one he was going to keep for himself.

The rods are just cheap Daiwa FT boat rods (med/heavy) that are like $20-$25 rods so I just bought 3 to match the reels so everything was the same.

Things shut down here when the spawn hit & is just now picking back up. I "think" the bigger fish have moved back into the deeper waters & are there during the day escaping the heat & come out into the shallows only after dark to feed. That's in lakes I can't speak for rivers & I'll test that hypothesis tonight

Last edited:

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found fish all night suspended between 20-40 feet deep but couldn't get them interested. Found school's of shad in different parts of the lake but no decent fish after them.

On the water from 5 pm to 1:30 am & only managed to catch one little channel cat around 1.5lbs

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Thunderbird Sunday and caught 11 cats 3 were blues and rest channel and only 1 channel that had eggs in it.
Late layer for sure.

1 Alligator gar was caught.
Fishing during the day with the sun straight overhead.
8-14 foot of water.

They all wanted filet of shad and no cut heads or tails.

Latest posts

Top Bottom