Anyone catching Blues or Flatheads lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got some bait gathered up this morning & Amazon sent me 6 packs of snap swivels in one box, only ordered one pack of 50 swivels
IMG_20220715_120745727.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_135753117.jpg
    IMG_20220715_135753117.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dead sunfish?
Gar loved the dead ones but never had luck with catfish eating them.

I suppose the catfish I catch are super picky.

Went out yesterday to help a friend with his old bass tracker's maiden voyage.
Did not go well his water pump was not pumping water.

Stuck it back on the trailer and good thing I took my 1975 closed bow bayliner.
Ran 10 jugs with filleted shad and caught a bunch of channel cats 2 gar and 4 blues.

I sent him home with all of it except 2 blues i kept for me and the wife.

His trailer lights did not work either when i t was time to go.
Good thing I keep junk in the trunk of the 57 chevy and all my other vehicles.

I had some electrical wire and ran a good ground and fixed him up.

I suppose the trailer is too rusty in the ball area to ground it.

We left the lake parking lot about 9:15 PM did not put boats in the water until 2 PM.
You would think that was the worst time of day to fish. It was darn hot but we caught fish.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out from 7p until 2A caught 8 small channels on cut perch, 1 drum & 1 hybrid bass. Largest channel was 4 pounds, drum about 2.5 & hybrid less than a pound

No bites on cut or live shad. Had a ton of pecking all night on the perch between the catches. Not a blue or flathead to be found 😡

Since March of this year I've caught 99% of my fish on cut perch/sunfish. Shad has been a major letdown, chicken breast good. My fishing has been Skiatook lake , creeks & the Arkansas river between Blackburn & the 412 bridge by keystone lake

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Osage1978 how are you cutting up your perch?
I will try it on the next trip if I get some perch.
Obviously depends on size but I do heads, mid section & tail section. I always trim fins off with scissors.

If they're tiny creek perch I just trim fins & a small section of tail so they'll bleed slower but leave whole.

I ALWAYS freeze mine while they're alive & whole. I bring them home in a 5 gallon bucket of water 10-20 at a time. If any die before I get them frozen which is very rare they become cat/dog food .

I've caught more on heads than anything for some reason & all my friends toss me the heads when fishing because they know my preference .

Since March of this year I've used over 150 of them

Latest posts

Top Bottom