Anyone cook Sous Vide style?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just used the stove top, and digital thermometer to control the water temp on a ribeye. Turned out perfect, but it was a PITA to do it that way.
The automatic machine would be worth what it costs.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had one of the Anova cookers for a couple years and absolutely love it. My wife was skeptical at first but has since bought one for her parents and mine. We eat a lot of chicken (5 picky kids) which is nice to always have fork tender most chicken every time. We also use it regularly for pork tenderloin and steaks, which also turn out excellent every time. I would recommend them to anybody considering one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the roast i had had been seared in a cast iron skillet first and the subject of chicken was brought up. so, do you do anything to prep the chicken before you cook it?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it a few times. I just use the stove, as well, with my 2-second read digital meat thermometer. It works great. It's not TOO much of a PITA, but I have wanted to get one of those Anovas. I've done steaks a few times, did a pastrami that way over the holidays... cured it in a plastic bag in the fridge, smoked it to 170 or so, then vacuum sealed it and did it sous vide at 195 or so for 3 hours. OMG... succulent and wonderful. Haven't thought of doing a roast, but it would be perfect, really.

I'll need to get 2 cookers ideally, as our gathering is usually half medium rare, half medium well. It's a great way to do those steaks you want to cook medium well or well done (ugh!), because they still come out incredibly moist. Then I usually throw them in a screaming hot cast iron skillet for a couple minutes to brown them up. Some people use a torch for that part, it works as well. Just seal up your steaks in a bag (Ziplocs work, too, not just vacuum sealed) with some butter, salt, pepper, maybe some rosemary or thyme, some garlic...

It's an adventure worth trying and it's really hard to screw them up. Highly recommended!

I wonder what a venison roast would be like....? Hmmm...

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the roast i had had been seared in a cast iron skillet first and the subject of chicken was brought up. so, do you do anything to prep the chicken before you cook it?

We don't do anything beforehand other than the occasional marinade added to the bag. Like I said, 5 kids, we eat a lot of chicken. We buy from Zaycon, usually 120 pounds of breasts at a time and clean them up and vacuum seal them, 2 breasts per bag, with salt, pepper, and a pad of butter in the bag since we pretty much only do sous vide with chicken anymore. If we want to add a marinade we'll thaw the chicken, open the bag enough to add marinade or other seasonings, and put it in the water.

After it's done, we sear off the chicken which really helps with texture and flavor.

With steak, we sear, cook, sear again - really makes a huge difference in flavor.

One of the main reasons we like it so much is that you can cook at much lower temperatures. For example, we cook our chicken at 142F. Normally if you cooked your chicken to that point it would be raw and unsafe to eat, but 3-4 hours at 142 and you've pasteurized the chicken so it is safe, but also extremely tender and juicy. Same concept with any other meat, especially pork tenderloin.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never cooked Sous Vide, but I had a huge, thick pork chop at a great restaurant called Central Park Fusion in Hot Springs, Arkansas that was prepared that way. Man, was it ever good! I need to read up on this some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom