Anyone cook Sous Vide style?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thermostatic heater that nightshade recommended will be here tomorrow. I have a prime ribeye cap steak thawing in the fridge as we speak as well as some Elk backstrap steaks cut to 1".

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thermostatic heater that nightshade recommended will be here tomorrow. I have a prime ribeye cap steak thawing in the fridge as we speak as well as some Elk backstrap steaks cut to 1".
Cool, it should work pretty well. Let me know how it turns out, I will be picking up one of the controllers within a month or two myself.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, after visiting with a bro out in Hawaii earlier this year, I was convinced to buy one of the Anova cookers. I just threw some steaks in them for it’s maiden voyage. We’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
After this thread, I got into it pretty heavily. I have 2 Joules and a 3rd off-brand sous vide circulator.

I've done massive amounts of steaks, a full brisket, several pastramis... lots of possibilities. I even made cheese using my sous vide. Pretty cool stuff.

<edit> You gotta get a good sear.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after visiting with a bro out in Hawaii earlier this year, I was convinced to buy one of the Anova cookers. I just threw some steaks in them for it’s maiden voyage. We’ll see how it goes.

I had a tendency to try to over sear mine the first few times. I cook them with the nova usually 3 hours. Then sear them on the grill pre heated to 650-700 degrees. About 90 seconds on the first side and 60 on the second is perfect for me.

I need to get a plate for the grill.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a tendency to try to over sear mine the first few times. I cook them with the nova usually 3 hours. Then sear them on the grill pre heated to 650-700 degrees. About 90 seconds on the first side and 60 on the second is perfect for me.

I need to get a plate for the grill.
Same here. I was always getting them too done at first, especially with center cut pork chops. I found that my BGE needs to be at least 500 degrees at an absolute minimum, kinda depending on how low my lump has gotten (coals closer to the grill is better). Also that it helps to pull them from the water bath, dry them by patting with paper towels and letting them cool off some while the grill is coming up to temp.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going to try to preheat the grill for the sear. I was figuring on about a minute per side. That’s about how I sear them on the charcoal grill before moving them to the cool zone to slow cook. Another 30-45 minutes till the moment of truth.

Edit: Thanks for the tip on patting them dry. That’s definitely gonna happen now.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
50681ff2bed94174e191e2f322e15015.jpg

I love this cooker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom