Anyone else really full of "Bah humbug!" this year????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just cracked open my second bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at the in laws. Maybe it's me but its tough to be bah humbug after consuming great bourbon.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just cracked open my second bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at the in laws. Maybe it's me but its tough to be bah humbug after consuming great bourbon.

I will try to apply the same hypothesis to great Scotch in about an hour and we can compare notes. Sound good?

Needa decide... Quinta Ruban, Macallan 12 or Balvenie Doublewood.

Not sure yet, but I'm leaning more towards the Macallan.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a big scotch drinker but I would go with the Doublewood. I can tell you that once I get this second bottle whooped, I won't be much for comparing notes.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an old man, and have had most of the troubles listed here at one time or another.

It took me a long time to get my insides (which is all I really have control over) to where the stuff outside does not "make" me unhappy. I read self help books, got a lot of undocumented counseling, tried to drink all the whisky and score with all the women, and was still not a happy person.

It was Roger Miller who finally did it, and you can believe this or not. "You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd (though I did one drunk night in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge--video didn't come out, so no proof), but you can be happy if you've a mind to."

Simple as that. World may be falling down, or in my current case, my ass is falling off, but your feelings are your own. Did disasters make me happy? Of course not. Would I change things if I could? Of course I would. But, what is, is. The choice is how we feel, and what we choose to do with the next second, minute, decade . . .

Resolve to be happy for just a little while despite what the world wants you to be. Then just a little while longer. This doesn't mean you can abandon your responsibilities, but you really can feel the way you want to feel. Easy to say, harder to do. Who do you want in charge of your feelings?

An elderly friend of mine (long since dead like most of my coworkers) worked at a bank when the "Great Depression" started. The bank president, a God fearing man who never said anything untoward, upon learning of the crash, stood up and said, loudly, "Oh humbug!" Apparently that was pretty strong language in 1929.

Remember that Scrooge is a story of redemption.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hang in there i'm at work too have had all the holidays this year just like you, & we are getting played out as well
Your son will be home soon & all will be right again

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took 2 weeks off work, staying at home with my wife and two little ones, enjoying the family time and humble celebrations.

Put all that above the work and the worry, and try to find something to be happy about. I swear, some of you all need to do some serious soul-searching and figure out WHY we work and why we bother to live and do what we do. Don't put all the other **** above yourself, your family, your health, your time.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to pour cheer on this Yuletide blues fest...but, despite my bad ankle, despite the shortened shopping season, despite the painter who never once showed up on time, despite a crappy collection month (yes, even ole JB feels the financial pinch from time to time), despite the fact my wife is about to give birth in 3 weeks and still wanted to do her normal Christmas routine (which puts Martha Stewart to shame)....I've had a damn good Christmas.

You cannot control a lot of what happens in life. You can control your reaction. Most all of our misery is caused by insecurity and ego. They cause a person to posture or lash out. Often times, we are our own worst enemies. The person whom you perceive as attacking you is often motivated by insecurity and fear of looking weak. No one wants to be the one who "gives in." That's an ego trap.

Also, having a plan is helpful, even if the plan evolves over time. It is a way to measure progress.

Life can always be so much worse, you have to try to find and make your own happiness.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I"m with ya JB. We lost Mom to Cancer in August, and left an empty chair for her at Christmas dinner today. Following a moment of "wishing she was here", I put the chair up.
I grew up with my dad working almost every Christmas, but we made up for it on the days he had off. Following the tradition, I've had jobs that didn't allow time off for any holidays because of duty requirements, and was on call today, handling a couple of things over the phone to keep from having to go in.

You make it what it is. If you want to be a Grinch at Christmas, it will be a long holiday. Personally, our family had a great two days of being together, and sharing gifts. The grandkids, nieces, and nephews from both sides of our family had a great time.
Merry Christmas to you all, and I hope the new year will be better than this year.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, I usually love Christmas time, but I haven't been able to get into it the past few years. father-in-law gone, grandparents all gone, parents 2 states away, it's just not the same. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it with time

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost an old friend on Christmas morning. He battled cancer for several months before losing the fight. He left behind three girls, the youngest being 18. You guys need to man up and count your blessings, we age, our children grow up, our parents pass on....things change, make new traditions, take your wife to Mexico or a mountain cabin for a few days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom