Anyone else really full of "Bah humbug!" this year????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I was bah-humbug this holiday season, but I haven't been feeling it either. Most of my family is either gone or moved away. My wife's family has always been on the naughty list and she hasn't talked to them in decades (with god reason). She and I have everything we need, so we didn't exchange gifts this year. It's amazing how stress free it was.

We went out for a nice meal on Christmas Eve, then to IHOP for breakfast Christmas Day (no dishes to do). I left holiday cheer sized tips for our servers and everyone was cheerful, despite having to work. Then she and I went home and spent six hard hours clearing ice storm damage in our yard. After cleaning up, we settled in for a movie and just spent all of our time together. I don't feel even slightly diminished for not having braved the shopping crush.

It was so nice, I think I might get my wife a "thank you" gift for not making me do that. :)

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to pour cheer on this Yuletide blues fest...but, despite my bad ankle, despite the shortened shopping season, despite the painter who never once showed up on time, despite a crappy collection month (yes, even ole JB feels the financial pinch from time to time), despite the fact my wife is about to give birth in 3 weeks and still wanted to do her normal Christmas routine (which puts Martha Stewart to shame)....I've had a damn good Christmas.

You cannot control a lot of what happens in life. You can control your reaction. Most all of our misery is caused by insecurity and ego. They cause a person to posture or lash out. Often times, we are our own worst enemies. The person whom you perceive as attacking you is often motivated by insecurity and fear of looking weak. No one wants to be the one who "gives in." That's an ego trap.

Also, having a plan is helpful, even if the plan evolves over time. It is a way to measure progress.

Life can always be so much worse, you have to try to find and make your own happiness.

I am glad to see this sort of input to the blues festival. Pretty much what I was trying to say in my above post, but said a lot better.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an old man, and have had most of the troubles listed here at one time or another.

It took me a long time to get my insides (which is all I really have control over) to where the stuff outside does not "make" me unhappy. I read self help books, got a lot of undocumented counseling, tried to drink all the whisky and score with all the women, and was still not a happy person.

It was Roger Miller who finally did it, and you can believe this or not. "You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd (though I did one drunk night in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge--video didn't come out, so no proof), but you can be happy if you've a mind to."

Simple as that. World may be falling down, or in my current case, my ass is falling off, but your feelings are your own. Did disasters make me happy? Of course not. Would I change things if I could? Of course I would. But, what is, is. The choice is how we feel, and what we choose to do with the next second, minute, decade . . .

Resolve to be happy for just a little while despite what the world wants you to be. Then just a little while longer. This doesn't mean you can abandon your responsibilities, but you really can feel the way you want to feel. Easy to say, harder to do. Who do you want in charge of your feelings?

An elderly friend of mine (long since dead like most of my coworkers) worked at a bank when the "Great Depression" started. The bank president, a God fearing man who never said anything untoward, upon learning of the crash, stood up and said, loudly, "Oh humbug!" Apparently that was pretty strong language in 1929.

Remember that Scrooge is a story of redemption.

I think you got the point across quite well..been there done that

(2 hrs in a tree with the buffs milling around below, seems they dont like to be "tipped" )

((yea I hope thes not pic's out there??))

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only bah humbug I experienced was some asshat dumping puppies in my driveway Christmas Eve.
Why do people think country folks want all thier unwanted dogs?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only bah humbug I experienced was some asshat dumping puppies in my driveway Christmas Eve.
Why do people think country folks want all thier unwanted dogs?

Delivery from Santa Clause. Can you imagine some kid begging for a puppy from Santa. Parents refuse, but somebody dumped a litter that night on there porch. How could you tell a kid no?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyway you look at it that was some cheap punk crap. Now I have a dog I didn't want. Hopefully we can find a home for it. Dang thing is growing on me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom