Anyone else really full of "Bah humbug!" this year????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We wish you a merry Christmas
And :finger: you next year.

That pretty much sums it up. :thumbup3:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Things do seem to be a little off this year.

On a side note. It must be nice getting 3 weeks away to the Caribbean during the winter.

I guess that might depend on what cruise line one is sailing on. With some of the stories in the past about Carnival, I wouldn't be so sure.

Well, they're not on a cruise, they're staying with family. My (estranged) wife was born and raised there. So I try to make sure they get to go every couple of years to spend the holidays. This year her best friend (who was her maid of honor at our wedding) is getting married (finally, at 40! lol), so it was a double reason to go. Someone has to stay here and pay for it, right? Oh well... I was invited, but did not feel comfortable. Couldn't take off anyways.

Yes, it sucks, and yes it can always be worse.

She said they are having torrential rains (rainy season down there) and landslides, seven people killed yesterday including some children in a house that got washed away by flash flooding. Airport closed from flooding, hospital flooded, etc. Luckily where her family lives is up in the hills, so not alot of danger for them, but can't move around the area much because rivers have overflowed their banks and roads washed out.

Still doesn't make me enjoy this season, though.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She said they are having torrential rains (rainy season down there) and landslides, seven people killed yesterday including some children in a house that got washed away by flash flooding. Airport closed from flooding, hospital flooded, etc. Luckily where her family lives is up in the hills, so not alot of danger for them, but can't move around the area much because rivers have overflowed their banks and roads washed out.

Still doesn't make me enjoy this season, though.

If all that is going on, they may be there more than three weeks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Won't matter... The Boy will miss a little school, and she doesn't work, so... oh well.

I know they've been having plenty of fun. Especially judging by the pictures she sent me of them hanging out at Tommy Holfiger's house. <sigh> I get to sit here and freeze, hack and cough, and work my arse off. Yay me.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know how you feel.

Ever since I've been married, we have had to split the holidays due to divorce/custody/visitation issues.
Thought that might be over when the kids were adults, but when my oldest got divorced, it started over with the grandson.
Add to that that she is married to a controlling, emotional blackmailer who doesn't want her coming to our house because we "don't like" him and things get even worse.

Then there are the other grandkids. I understand that my daughter in that marriage has additional family obligations and we try not to be the "stressful" parents demanding that they spend holidays with us.

All of those issues and a few more sort of make the Holiday season a bit of a downer. Especially for my wife.

Could be worse, I always think.

Christmas Eve of '74 in Shiraz, my entire family got Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Finally figured something was wrong when my brother passed out and smacked his head on the marble floor.
Can't tell you how long we called him "The Canary" after that!!
Iranian builders put the baffles in the heating system in backwards and all of the exhaust was directed into the apartment.
Spent the rest of the evening huddled around the propane stove to keep warm.

Dave

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya.

I'm stuck here at work too.

The bad thing is, I work at a college campus and EVERYBODY here is gone! They have been since last Tuesday, so yeah, I'm basically the only one here until January 2nd. Then add to that the fact that I'm out of my element/environment, because I've been working, and will continue to work, day shift (0700-1500) until they all come back on the 2nd. Then I'll go back to my regular shift, 1500-2300.

Thank God! :faint:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm down with the humbug. I love my family, but I can't hardly stand being around them for more than a few hours. They suffer that "nothing happens outside of Ponca City" mentality. No idea of the world around them. Given that I live in SWOK, I forget each year and end up taking the week off and spending it there.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, no Grinch here. I've had to work holidays all of my adult life so I'm used to it. While some of my family can't be here due to open heart surgery, they are recovering well, which is all I can ask.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got home from out of town Christmas and the house has been out of power for a while. Melted ice cream and stuff. Was really ready to be home but ready to leave again now. Still been a good Christmas though. Just have to buy groceries again. : /

Latest posts

Top Bottom