Anyone have a artificial Disc in there cervical spine (neck)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys...As some of you know I was in a airplane accident a couple months ago and my neuro surgeons office called and told me to be looking into the disc replacement. I havent seen him yet but I assume if his office called and told me to be looking into something that must be what hes thinking. They also sent a pretty good pamplet on it in the mail to me. I will say Im more excited as I thought fusion was my only option. Mine will be in the c 6/7 area. Anyone have one installed? Lets hear your stories. Man I will be so glad to get something done...Its been killing me and this rainy weather has made it even more sore. Been on major pain pills all day just trying to take the edge off. SOmething has to give just hope the replacement option is the way to go. I have to get back to work ASAP but without doing something I cannt get a doctor to release me..ive tried and besides that its painfull as hell. Slow process but hope we are headed in right direction as I feel we are moving along alittle. I have already had the maximun number of steroid injections they can do in 1 year in my lower back and neck...arm and fingers still numb and toes still numb. I will say it helped on the pain and I did get some strength back in my arm but the numbness is still there. From what I have read the disc replacment will cure the arm and fingers...toes being numb is a function of the lower back not neck. Anyhow anyone one else have some info ?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know your pain!! I have four fused in my neck C-4 through C-7 with plates, pins, an wiring front and back. Still on pain meds, but not as bad as it once was, but you'll never be pain free. Of course they couldn't do the disc replacement on mine, so maybe you'll be better off.

I still have Ulnar nerve damage to both arms all the way down to my last to fingers, they still function, just no feeling.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a titanium disc between my 5th & 6th and those 2 are also fused. No pain, just don't have the full range of motion when turning head from side to side. Feeling in fingers not all there in my right hand.

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1rst time I did it, I had the C3-4 fused with an Orian plate, second time I screwed it up they fused 4 to 5 took out the first plate and put another over the 4-5 fusion. Bone was taken out of the right hip for the first one and left hip for the second. Actually, the hip hurt worse when I was healing than the neck did. Only time that I have any issues now is if I try to overlift or doing something like putting a kid up on my shoulders for too long. Be glad to talk of you need to.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know your pain!! I have four fused in my neck C-4 through C-7 with plates, pins, an wiring front and back. Still on pain meds, but not as bad as it once was, but you'll never be pain free. Of course they couldn't do the disc replacement on mine, so maybe you'll be better off.

I still have Ulnar nerve damage to both arms all the way down to my last to fingers, they still function, just no feeling.

Same here, c-5 and c-6. With plate in front with screws, wire in back with two pins. I was down for about a year ten years back. I still have pain but manage with out heavy pain meds. Mine nerve damage ran across my right shoulder almost like a broken collar bone, down my right arm to my last two fingers on my hand. In the last six months I have been having problems with my left arm going to sleep. Need to get it checked out but I'm afraid of what they might say.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1rst time I did it, I had the C3-4 fused with an Orian plate, second time I screwed it up they fused 4 to 5 took out the first plate and put another over the 4-5 fusion. Bone was taken out of the right hip for the first one and left hip for the second. Actually, the hip hurt worse when I was healing than the neck did. Only time that I have any issues now is if I try to overlift or doing something like putting a kid up on my shoulders for too long. Be glad to talk of you need to.

Same here. Took bone out of right hip to graft 5 & 6 together. Hip hurt worst than neck and the top of my right thigh felt like it was asleep for a couple years. Its ok now.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Same here. Took bone out of right hip to graft 5 & 6 together. Hip hurt worst than neck and the top of my right thigh felt like it was asleep for a couple years. Its ok now.

I was lucky, Tulsa neurospine has a bone bank, and they didn't have to take any from my hip. I've had three surgeries, lost over 50% motion in neck, an in years to come may have to have C7-T1 fused because thats where most of the motion is, and its wearing that disc down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom