Anyone know a trustworthy FFL to transfer to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sincerely apologize to all the dealers who took offense at my insensitive, angered response to a post by another member. I was hurt and frustrated by the post, and I took my frustration out on you. For that I am sincerely sorry.

I should have taken my frustration out on DG, but instead tossed you under the bus. I apologize.

I too used to be a kitchen table dealer and remember the pride associated with licensure and providing a service to folks. Sadly, I was one of the victims of the Clinton era BATF.

Last edited:

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I would like to discuss is transfer pricing. Let me give you a chronological list of what we do during most common transfers.

1. A guest calls to inform us they purchased a firearm online and they would like to have it sent to us.
2. We gather the shipping dealers contact information, the purchasers contact information, and info on the gun purchased. I inform the purchaser we will contact them immediately when the firearm is logged into our books, checked into the computer, and ready for them to pick-up.
3. All this information is entered into my "incoming transfers" spreadsheet to ensure we know exactly what is coming in, from who and for who.
4. I email or fax a copy of our FFL to the shipping dealer.
5. I email or fax a copy of our FFL to the shipping dealer because they didn't get it the first time or lost it.
6. I email or fax a copy of our FFL to the shipping dealer becasue they didn't get it the first or second time or lost it again.
7. I receive a call from the purchaser inquiring if I've seen his gun. If the gun is here I remind them we will call him as soon as it is checked in. If the gun isn't here then I advise them to call the shipper.
8. I receive a second call from the purchaser inquiring if I've seen his gun. If the gun is here I remind them we will call him as soon as it is checked in. If the gun isn't here then I advise them to call the shipper.
9. I receive a third call from the purchaser inquiring if I've seen his gun. If the gun is here I remind them we will call him as soon as it is checked in. If the gun isn't here then I advise them to call the shipper. This continues until gun arrives
10. Firearm is received on the dock from UPS, Fed-Ex, or at the front door from USPS and moved to the receiving area.
10.1 Purchaser shows up at counter saying UPS delivered firearm 15 minutes ago and he wants it. :)
11. Receiving clerk opens box, places firearm on "received" shelf and forwards shipping FFL and associated paperwork to a clerk for entry into our bound book.
12. Firearm is entered into our bound book, the firearm is entered into our computer system as received and I am notified it is ready to be moved to the front sales safe. The time required for this step is based on whether we received 1 delivery or 100 and can vary from 10 minutes to 24 hours.
13. The purchaser is notified the firearm is ready for pickup and I move the firearm from the warehouse receiving area to the front safe.
14. The purchaser comes in, looks at the gun , completes a 4473, we make the call, the transfer fee is paid.
15. The 4473 is reviewed at the end of business for any errors or ommissions and forwarded to a clerk for review the next day.
16. The 4473 is reviewed for any errors or ommissions the second time and the transaction is checked in our POS system to ensure the gun is electronically transferred from our POS log book. the file is then sent to another clerk for further review.
17. The 4473 is reviewed the third time for any errors or ommissions and placed in our files. The transfer out is entered into our hand written bound book...and that concludes the average transfer.

Do we put in alot of time and effort for a transfer...yes we do. Is it all necessary as there is a bunch of repetiton there? In our opinion, absolutely. Our double and triple paperwork checks ensure we have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's for the alphabet boys. Our lively hood depends on it. If you've ever been through a total BATFE audit you know how important even one error can be.

Can we afford to go through all these steps for $10? Very simply, no.

If we could afford to do a $10 transfer, would I really want to knowing by doing so I was helping Cheaper than Dirt (insert internet gun sales company name here) sell a firearm to an Oklahoman for less than I can? That is what I mean by subsidizing the competition. A $10 transfer makes it easier for all internet dealers to compete with local dealers. The vast majority of them are drop shippers who have no inventory investment, and very little overhead. They offer little to no support after the sale. They have enough of an edge without helping them further.

I would love to see ALL dealers do everything possible to keep firearm sales in the state. We actually want other in state (and local) dealers to be successful. When dealers go out of business no matter how big or small they are it is bad for the industry, bad for the shooting sports, and bad for firearm owners.

Last edited:

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&H is ridiculous in their transfer fees. In fact I can't think of many good things to say about H&H. I guess the burgers are above average. I've used Bob Morris and it was a smooth transaction. I'll have to check out Sooner State and Cold Hand Arms for my next purchase.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone is making it alot harder than it should be. We don't open your box until the customer is in the store so that they can verify that everything was sent correctly and not damaged. It takes us 5 minutes to check the gun into our system, and another 5 minutes to call the background check in. It is a very simple process and 99% of the time very painless for the transferer and transferee. We like doing them, and do it with a smile. $10 bucks is well worth 10-15 minutes of our time. We don't do these thinking we're going to be millionaires.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you would think that if h&h is all big and bad, they would offer a lower price on transfers. or maybe they just have it that high to keep people from using them for xfers. they would rather them buy something in-store that is rediculously overpriced.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back about four months ago, I posted the same question and got several suggestions. I compiled a list and made four phone calls. Out of the four, I only got two returned calls. One was from a fellow who operated out of a neighborhood that I wouldn't frequent on purpose at anytime, day or night. The other was from a fellow that didn't create much confidence. I just couldn't make myself turn over the transfer of a $1100 gun over to someone that I didn't feel comfortable with. So, I went to Outdoor America for the transfer. Yes, I paid $30 to get it done, but I never had any worries or concerns about the transfer being taken care of properly and on a timely basis.

My thought on things like this is that if saving $10 - $20 extra to feel confident in the people receiving your property and transfer it to you is such a burden then you probably have no business buying the gun.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone way up in the northeast corner of the state.... D&L Pawn ($25) in Grove and Olde Navy Gunsmithing ($20) out of Jay will do transfers. Both are good guys to deal with. :thumb:

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone is making it alot harder than it should be. We don't open your box until the customer is in the store so that they can verify that everything was sent correctly and not damaged. It takes us 5 minutes to check the gun into our system, and another 5 minutes to call the background check in. It is a very simple process and 99% of the time very painless for the transferer and transferee. We like doing them, and do it with a smile. $10 bucks is well worth 10-15 minutes of our time. We don't do these thinking we're going to be millionaires.

Im diggin this style right here..... These guys WANT your transfers.... I will refer all of my future OKC customers to you guys.
Send me your card!!!
B.A.N.G.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That is the right attitude. I will check out your place. We need more like you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom