Anyone load a 38/.380 bullet into a 9mm casing for steel challenge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you may mean .380 auto bullets. They are still .354-.355” like the 9mm bullet but are usually 95 grain.

You will need an aftermarket guide rod and spring(s). You need a bushing/adapter if your 17 is a gen 4.

There is not a minimum power factor in Steel Challenge like there is in some disciplines.

The lighter bullet by itself will produce less recoil. Usually a powder is increased with lighter bullets to generate more recoil to cycle the gun. That is not the goal here. Instead, reduce the recoil spring.

Look at .380 load data for charge weight. And compare with the same powder for a 9mm 115 grain bullet. You will need more powder than .380 because if the 9mm case.
For instance Hodgdon data on Titegroup is 2.7-3.2 for 380/95. 9/115 3.9-4.3. I’m not suggesting TG is the best to use for low load but it would work. If I was trying it, I would try 3.0g with the 95g bullet. Then go up or down as needed

It won’t cycle the Glock with the stock recoil spring. But shoot it and see what it feels like. Then reduce the spring until it will cycle.

The factory spring is 17lb. I’d get 11, 13, and 15 springs. Reduce it until it runs and the slide locks back.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he means 380 ammo shot from a 9mm gun.
Some guns shoot the 380 ammo just fine in a 9mm gun. Some will not make the 380 round go off and long barrel guns may get the bullet stuck.
You may not get the gun to cycle either.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some guns shoot the 380 ammo just fine in a 9mm gun. Some will not make the 380 round go off and long barrel guns may get the bullet stuck.

Don’t do this.
It is not the same as shooting .40 in a 10mm, .45 GAP in a .45 ACP. The 380 is a straight wall case. The 9mm is a taper case. Even the rim base diameter is smaller.

It will fire, and likely cycle with the correct spring set. But you would be setting him up for potential problems he does not need.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swampratt does bring up a good point though.

You may not be a reloader.

There are a few companies that load ammo fur steel challenge use that may work for you.

Atlanta arms loads a 100g bullet for 109pf

There are a few others I’ve seen before but Atlanta arms is the one I remembered seeing for sure.

https://atlantaarms.com/products/select-9mm-100gr-fmj-steel-challenge.html

Jungleweasle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, it's a simple physics thing. The heavier the bullet and the more powder the harder the recoil is going to kick.

So a heavier pistol, like a 1911 compared to a polymer glock or M&P with a light bullet. Something like a 95grain bullet with as light of a powder load as possible that will allow the weapon to reliably function. You will have to drop the recoil spring way down though for it to reliably function with an extremely light loading. It's going to be a dance of getting the light spring, developing a loading that will work with it correctly and then seeing if that will work for your son.

So you may be better off with a slightly heavier pistol or developing a loading for a 380 instead and going that route.
Thank you very much!

Jungleweasle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t do this.
It is not the same as shooting .40 in a 10mm, .45 GAP in a .45 ACP. The 380 is a straight wall case. The 9mm is a taper case. Even the rim base diameter is smaller.

It will fire, and likely cycle with the correct spring set. But you would be setting him up for potential problems he does not need.
I do reload. I’ve experimented with a few variations of 9mm reloads. Of course the G-17 springs had to be played with but I’m still trying to get it softer

Jungleweasle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you may mean .380 auto bullets. They are still .354-.355” like the 9mm bullet but are usually 95 grain.

You will need an aftermarket guide rod and spring(s). You need a bushing/adapter if your 17 is a gen 4.

There is not a minimum power factor in Steel Challenge like there is in some disciplines.

The lighter bullet by itself will produce less recoil. Usually a powder is increased with lighter bullets to generate more recoil to cycle the gun. That is not the goal here. Instead, reduce the recoil spring.

Look at .380 load data for charge weight. And compare with the same powder for a 9mm 115 grain bullet. You will need more powder than .380 because if the 9mm case.
For instance Hodgdon data on Titegroup is 2.7-3.2 for 380/95. 9/115 3.9-4.3. I’m not suggesting TG is the best to use for low load but it would work. If I was trying it, I would try 3.0g with the 95g bullet. Then go up or down as needed

It won’t cycle the Glock with the stock recoil spring. But shoot it and see what it feels like. Then reduce the spring until it will cycle.

The factory spring is 17lb. I’d get 11, 13, and 15 springs. Reduce it until it runs and the slide locks back.
This is great!!! Thank you

Jungleweasle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry...the title caption doesn’t read to well. I do mean to re-load a 380 bullet in a 9mm casing. Thank you I will make a change in the title caption

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to dedicate a gun for him if your going to mess with the springs.
You really wouldn't want to forget and run a bunch of full power loads thru reduced springs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom