Apple Wine/Cider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am on my first attempt at making apple wine and apple cider, 2 gallons of each. I started with preservative free apple juice and apple cider. I ordered champagne yeast. for the primary fermentation stage I am using glass jugs with air locks. My house stays about 70 degrees, do they are making under a kitchen cabinet. I used a hydrometer to get the sugar level right. How long before the primary stage ends and I can rack the wine/cider for the secondary stage? How long before the apple cider will taste decent? I am planning on letting the wine age until May.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interested in your results. We have a Golden Delicious apple tree in the yard. If I can keep the deer off it, I'd like to make some hard apple cider.
Friend that is a Welchman said the Apple Cider from his homeland was made with apples developed over the years to be slightly tart.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not know good wine from bad. Hell, I like Boone's Farm. I am thinking about going to a few wine tastings to learn what I should be looking for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not know good wine from bad. Hell, I like Boone's Farm. I am thinking about going to a few wine tastings to learn what I should be looking for.
I have a preference, but for the life of me, I don't know how those "experts" can say that a wine has a taste of this and that with a final blush of something over the tongue.
I'm a Shiraz guy. Not too dry, not too sweet. That's my level of expertise.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after about a month the cider is actually very good. I back sweetened it with apple concentrate and a little honey. The apple cider actually taste better than commercial apple beverages I have had. I am have not tried the apple wine yet. I am going to let it age for a couple of months.
I am now making some grape wine.
This weekend I am going to start a gallon of Honey Mead/Wine.
I want to try making some skeeterpee/ lemon wine. I figure if I start it now, I can drink it in June.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've made cider before. But it isn't real strong % wise. Take a gallon of apple juice and pour two cups off and save it. Get one cup brown sugar. Proof half a package of freshmens yeast. Then add the sugar and yeast. . Add some of the juice back but leave a few inches from the top of the jug. Put your air lock on. Three , four days tops then put in the fridge. Real tasty ,carbonated and mildly alcoholic. Everybody that's tried it loved it

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I've made cider before. But it isn't real strong % wise. Take a gallon of apple juice and pour two cups off and save it. Get one cup brown sugar. Proof half a package of freshmens yeast. Then add the sugar and yeast. . Add some of the juice back but leave a few inches from the top of the jug. Put your air lock on. Three , four days tops then put in the fridge. Real tasty ,carbonated and mildly alcoholic. Everybody that's tried it loved it
Mine is really good.
tonight, I put on a 1/2 gallon of Honey and Molasses mead.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is really good.
tonight, I put on a 1/2 gallon of Honey and Molasses mead.
I've made mead before but haven't perfected it. No where as good as that Colorado mead. I know I need to back sweeten it but haven't figured out the right ratio yet. But it will get you lit no problem. How much do you back sweeten your mead? How long have you been making it? Have any good luck with it?

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I've made mead before but haven't perfected it. No where as good as that Colorado mead. I know I need to back sweeten it but haven't figured out the right ratio yet. But it will get you lit no problem. How much do you back sweeten your mead? How long have you been making it? Have any good luck with it?
This is my first try at making mead, I have just started making wine. I don't really drink, but I do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. I used wine yeast, so all of the sugars should not be completely eaten. I read that people use bread yeast in it because the yeast dies before the sugar is gone. I am figure I am going to back sweeten a 1/2 gallon with 1/4 cup of apple concentrate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom