AR-15 Brands Ranked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I found this article from April 2022 that ranks AR-15 brands into different tiers. I know it is just one gun rag writer's opinion but I found it interesting and informative.

After reading through it quickly one time, I didn't find much that I would disagree with but I'm far from an expert on the subject. What do you guys think?

https://www.snipercountry.com/ar-15-brands-ranked/
From the article...

There are specific reasons why I’ve ranked some of these companies where they are and those reasons might go against conventual wisdom and they absolutely go against what that guy at the local gun store told you or what your buddy’s best friend who did a tour in Afghanistan back in 2006 told you.

Price is also ignored in these lists and more importantly, value is ignored.

A Knights Armament SR-15 runs about $2,700 and is objectively one of the finest pieces of mechanical engineering ever made. The SR-15 is the embodiment of what S-Tier should be.

But… if you’re a normal person doing normal person things, you get a whole lot more value out of a $1,200 Aero Precision rifle or even a $600 Palmetto State Armory rifle.

Unless you’re storming beaches, the S-Tier is for flexing on poors.

The vast majority of us are C- and B-list people at heart. If that’s where you’re at in the AR-15 brand ranking, that’s a good place to be.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I guess Noveske didn't make the list anywhere
Yeah, they weren't trying to name them all. That would be a very long list.

"One last thing to remember is that not every single company that makes an AR-15 is on this list. Sorry, but we had to draw a line somewhere."

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t read it but have owned a beautiful Sig AR carried by one of OkC’s finest and my OLD Noveske’s (not new, aargh) can, could, wood and more than likely before they get melted next century can compete with anything on that list.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Love how you have to get to the B-Tier to be "adequate for self-defense". I'm not an AR guy, don't keep up with them. But I'm pretty sure most of those in the lower categories are more than capable of a self-defense role.
He states this for the C-Tier guns, which I have no problem with...

"If you need to cut costs, this is how you do it. I’d trust these to defend myself with, but only after I took it to the range and ran 500 rounds through it to make sure everything really works."

Latest posts

Top Bottom