AR-15 Brands Ranked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He states this for the C-Tier guns, which I have no problem with...

"If you need to cut costs, this is how you do it. I’d trust these to defend myself with, but only after I took it to the range and ran 500 rounds through it to make sure everything really works."

So you gotta put $500 worth of ammunition through it to make sure it works. :scratch:

Sounds a lot like breaking in a 1911 with a thousand rounds before it runs right.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So you gotta put $500 worth of ammunition through it to make sure it works. :scratch:

Sounds a lot like breaking in a 1911 with a thousand rounds before it runs right.
C'mon man! you don't need $1 per round ammo to test out an AR. :D

I would probably trust one after 300 rounds with no problems but 500 rounds would be even better, IMO.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He states this for the C-Tier guns, which I have no problem with...

"If you need to cut costs, this is how you do it. I’d trust these to defend myself with, but only after I took it to the range and ran 500 rounds through it to make sure everything really works."

I'll be honest. I couldn't be bothered to actually read the article. I just looked at his graphic and that's what he put in there was B-Tier was adequate for self defense.

He better test anything he buys, I don't care what it costs.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C'mon man! you don't need $1 per round ammo to test out an AR. :D

I would probably trust one after 300 rounds with no problems but 500 rounds would be even better, IMO.

$1/round is the mil-spec stuff. I’d rather not shoot the $2/round duty stuff. :)

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is more care taken in the manufacture of some AR style rifles than others? Of course. Will some perform better than others under certain circumstances? Of course. Are the majority of these guns perfectly adequate for the purposes the vast majority of buyers will use them for? I believe they are.

This is no different than saying a top-end, brand name handgun will work better than a low-end brand like everyone's favorite whipping boy, the Hi-Point.

But for someone that needs a basic gun for protection at a price point they can afford when they have a $200 budget that must account for gun and ammo, a Hi-Point will work. Is it going to stand up to the rigors of extended combat duty? No. But that's not the purpose of a Hi-Point.

I always take these things with a grain of salt. I wouldn't spend the kind of money on one of those "S-Tier" guns when most any of the others will do just fine for my purposes. I happen to be a Colt fanboy and they're enough gun for me. But I buy a ton of PSA stuff, too. And nothing I have from PSA has been anything but 100% reliable so far.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh the good old "the name engraved on my receiver is better than the name engraved on your receiver" article when both are made with parts from the same supplier. I really like that several S, A, and B list maker share the same supplier with all the same quality of parts!
My engraver can beat up your engraver!

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry but that’s not true at all.

I have plenty of PSA stuff along with my nice stuff, nothing lines up even between the Same upper and lower manufacture.

Nice try to downplay but a Ferrari is fast and a Fuego is history. Look it up.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But it all shoots just fine under my conditions and that is what is important I guess, no need to be petty with forums like this.

It’s a hobby for us old folks and we lie like hell to our wives to have this stuff.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
0D84C179-3BDB-4961-B7D0-E90321C2218B.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom