AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbi83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
im sure this has been asked either here or on the AR-15 forum but i cant think of the wording to search it out...

im just curious, if i buy a complete upper and complete lower, thats pretty much a complete rifle right? just curious how they get away without ordering the uppers thru a local gun shop wouldnt they have to do all the background info an registrations?

maybe im missing something i havent fully researched alot on building one but i want to maybe put one together this summer...

thx for the help

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im sure this has been asked either here or on the AR-15 forum but i cant think of the wording to search it out...

im just curious, if i buy a complete upper and complete lower, thats pretty much a complete rifle right? just curious how they get away without ordering the uppers thru a local gun shop wouldnt they have to do all the background info an registrations?

maybe im missing something i havent fully researched alot on building one but i want to maybe put one together this summer...

thx for the help

As long as by complete they include the BCG/charging handle in the upper. I have seen some uppers advertised as complete, but they do not have the BCG and charging handle. Otherwise, yes.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so in theory anyone could build an AR and the government would never know?

The lower has to be FFL'd. The only way to get around that, I believe is to take a incomplete lower and finish it. (by incomplete, I mean the stripped lower is not complete.) Someone correct me if I am wrong.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The lower has to be FFL'd. The only way to get around that, I believe is to take a incomplete lower and finish it. (by incomplete, I mean the stripped lower is not complete.) Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Even if you by a stripped lower it gets registered. Only way around that is to by a lower from an individual. Also, if you buy a lower and an upper at the same time from a dealer they consider it a complete gun and there is about a 20% tax added. (maybe not all dealers, I'm not sure)

Latest posts

Top Bottom