AR open carry at Hafer park in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The word pistol is defined in the self defense act, and the use of the word pistol in the statute is based on that framing.

The other definitions of the word in federal law, atf forms, or even other state laws are out of context for how it’s used in our carry laws.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks OK2A for making all gun owners look bad.

Oh, and the comment you made several times about the Tulsa PD not taking "a man with rifle in park" as seriously, but more of a casual affair now because you've done it so much, not smart.
What if an actual shooter situation happens? Tulsa PD will get the call and they'll think, oh, that's just that dumbass with OK2A again. No need to hurry.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
The word pistol is defined in the self defense act, and the use of the word pistol in the statute is based on that framing.

The other definitions of the word in federal law, atf forms, or even other state laws are out of context for how it’s used in our carry laws.
that is not true either, our definition is reflective of federal law.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that is not true, ATF Form 4473 question 16.

If a receiver is transferred to someone who wishes to make it into a pistol, that person becomes the manufacturer(factory) and must comply with the rules and regs that allows it to be labeled a handgun. Once it leaves the 'factory' as a pistol, it must be transferred as a pistol. Once it is a pistol, if a shoulder stock is attached, it becomes a short barreled rifle and requires all the approvals and paperwork same as if it started life as a rifle and the barrel was to be cut down to less than 16".

If a receiver is made into a long gun(rifle or shotgun), it cannot be transferred as anything other than a long gun unless it is turned into a short barreled rifle with all the approvals, paperwork, and etc. that is required.

New manufactured rifle style receivers can be made into pistols so long as they leave the factory as a pistol and meet all the requirements of it being a pistol. A good example is a new manufactured Mares Leg that is made out of an 1892 rifle receiver, or a Henry rifle receiver.

I make my Hog Laig and Peg Laig pistols out of Mares Legs that have left the factory as pistols. If I wished to make my Hog Laigs and Peg Laigs out of rifles, since they would have left the original manufacturer as rifles, they would have to be approved as short barreled rifles even though they met all the requirements of being pistols when completed by me. Being an 07 FFL holder, if I could find a source of non-serialized 1892 receivers, I could make my pistols from scratch and sell them as pistols with my own label and serial numbers. The point being that they would leave the manufacturer (me) as pistols.

You can buy a receiver and make it into a pistol, but you can not be under 21 and purchase a receiver even if you wish to make it into a long gun(rifle or shotgun). A receiver is neither a rifle nor shot gun, and only a rifle or shotgun can be transferred to someone under 21.

The long and short of it is that it has to be manufactured as a pistol.

Woody

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a receiver is transferred to someone who wishes to make it into a pistol, that person becomes the manufacturer(factory) and must comply with the rules and regs that allows it to be labeled a handgun. Once it leaves the 'factory' as a pistol, it must be transferred as a pistol. Once it is a pistol, if a shoulder stock is attached, it becomes a short barreled rifle and requires all the approvals and paperwork same as if it started life as a rifle and the barrel was to be cut down to less than 16".

If a receiver is made into a long gun(rifle or shotgun), it cannot be transferred as anything other than a long gun unless it is turned into a short barreled rifle with all the approvals, paperwork, and etc. that is required.

New manufactured rifle style receivers can be made into pistols so long as they leave the factory as a pistol and meet all the requirements of it being a pistol. A good example is a new manufactured Mares Leg that is made out of an 1892 rifle receiver, or a Henry rifle receiver.

I make my Hog Laig and Peg Laig pistols out of Mares Legs that have left the factory as pistols. If I wished to make my Hog Laigs and Peg Laigs out of rifles, since they would have left the original manufacturer as rifles, they would have to be approved as short barreled rifles even though they met all the requirements of being pistols when completed by me. Being an 07 FFL holder, if I could find a source of non-serialized 1892 receivers, I could make my pistols from scratch and sell them as pistols with my own label and serial numbers. The point being that they would leave the manufacturer (me) as pistols.

You can buy a receiver and make it into a pistol, but you can not be under 21 and purchase a receiver even if you wish to make it into a long gun(rifle or shotgun). A receiver is neither a rifle nor shot gun, and only a rifle or shotgun can be transferred to someone under 21.

The long and short of it is that it has to be manufactured as a pistol.

Woody
If you say so!

Travis

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks OK2A for making all gun owners look bad.

Oh, and the comment you made several times about the Tulsa PD not taking "a man with rifle in park" as seriously, but more of a casual affair now because you've done it so much, not smart.
What if an actual shooter situation happens? Tulsa PD will get the call and they'll think, oh, that's just that dumbass with OK2A again. No need to hurry.
That’s my thoughts exactly

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is not true either, our definition is reflective of federal law.

It may well be, but my point is that what it’s reflective of doesn’t matter much once it’s explicitly defined in the section of statute. That definition is what is relevant in the section, not what it's derived from.

Latest posts

Top Bottom