AR Triggers for rapid fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread here, I see glowing praise for Geissele triggers in an AR application, along with kudos for the JP triggers. I'm curious; all this talk about how these triggers feel - are these perceptions gleaned mainly from deliberate and slow fire, as in bench-rest style shooting with the goal of tight groups? I could see how careful and precise application of pressure on the trigger could magnify the perception of trigger smoothness, travel, etc. On the other hand, can you really tell the difference between a stock AR trigger, or even one from Rock River, and the Geissele or JP offerings during quick-fire events like 3-gun competitions where you might not be as attentive to trigger feel?

ETA: What about during occasional use of an AR at the range - let's say you only shoot an AR a few times a year. If you shoot with the stock trigger, then replace the trigger with one from Geissele or JP, but it's a month or two before you get back to the range. Are you going to see a huge difference when you next go to the range: "Oh MAN, this trigger is incredible!" Or is the sensation going to be more tentative as in, "Uhh, I think this one is better, but I'm not sure..."?

Last edited:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stock triggers suck. You should tell a huge difference in all settings. If not, your trigger finger is numb and you should probably see a doctor.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Rock River 2 Stage trigger and I have some unnamed stock trigger. The Rock River is 10 times better than the stock one.

I think even someone unaccustomed to AR triggers would be able to tell the difference.

Chris_Andersen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There will be a HUGE difference in the high end triggers versus a stock trigger in pretty much every application. Light pull, crisp break, and short reset are helpful for pretty much everything. Light triggers are obviously great for benchrest/bullseye. As for 3-gun...try taking a 600 yard shot with a mil spec trigger while your heart rate is at 160 BPM and you are really going to wish you had that JP. :)

Even for a couple of weekends a year at the range, I doubt you'd ever regret investing in a quality trigger.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use a Wilson combat 3 gun trigger. Very nice and crisp with a short reset. Kinda like the difference between a porsche and a volkswagon bug.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread here, I see glowing praise for Geissele triggers in an AR application, along with kudos for the JP triggers. I'm curious; all this talk about how these triggers feel - are these perceptions gleaned mainly from deliberate and slow fire, as in bench-rest style shooting with the goal of tight groups? I could see how careful and precise application of pressure on the trigger could magnify the perception of trigger smoothness, travel, etc. On the other hand, can you really tell the difference between a stock AR trigger, or even one from Rock River, and the Geissele or JP offerings during quick-fire events like 3-gun competitions where you might not be as attentive to trigger feel?

ETA: What about during occasional use of an AR at the range - let's say you only shoot an AR a few times a year. If you shoot with the stock trigger, then replace the trigger with one from Geissele or JP, but it's a month or two before you get back to the range. Are you going to see a huge difference when you next go to the range: "Oh MAN, this trigger is incredible!" Or is the sensation going to be more tentative as in, "Uhh, I think this one is better, but I'm not sure..."?

Huge difference, even with the baseline Geissele SSA, which is a durable replacement for the mil-spec AR combat type trigger, not a match trigger.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 Gun isn't all rapid fire. A lot of time is made up by the guys who can hit those 400, 500, and 600 yard targets, I can guarantee they're not running mil-spec triggers. Even for the average weekend range user like myself, I saw huge improvements when I switched to the Giesselle Super 3 Gun trigger. I'm not a two-stage kinda guy. one and done.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, maybe the example of 3-gun was a poor choice. I wanted to know if during rapid-fire-only sessions, the difference between a stock trigger and a Geissele or JP can be discerned readily by someone who doesn't shoot an AR but once every few months and would not be comparing them back to back? What if it's a RRA trigger vs. the Geiselle / JP trigger?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a RRA 2 Stage trigger I will sale you....it got replaced with a Geissele in an AR15 "A2" style. You will notice a massive difference in slow OR rapid fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom