Archery ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are my recommendations in the OKC area - H&H they don't have a big variety of bows but they have a well stocked archery section otherwise. Bass Pro Shop has a good variety and are usually very helpful if you can find a sales person. I can't recommend Oklahoma Archery, we went there looking for new bows and they couldn't even be bothered to ask if we needed anything. One guy was doing stuff in the back and the other was busy chatting with a girl who was there visiting. After about 15 or 20 minutes of waiting for someone to help we gave up and left. We definitely won't be back.

I started out shooting a recurve which I still enjoyed after getting into shooting a compound. I recommend both but if you prefer compound shooting start with a good quality lower priced bow and make sure whoever sells it to you measures you and makes sure the bow fits you instead of you trying to fit the bow. I've been a PSE fan from day one and highly recommend their bows but there are several good brands out there.

Make sure your local laws allow you to shoot a bow where you live, I live in OKC and shooting a bow in my yard is no different than a gun to the city. Find a friend who's a bow shooter and shoot with them as much as possible or join an archery club. It's much, much, much easier to learn around other shooters than on your own.

Good luck! If I had a place to hunt I'd still be shooting a bow but since I can't shoot at home and I have to pay to shoot anywhere else it's just not feasible for me anymore.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, it sounds like you had an atypical experience at OK Archery. My wife purchased a Mission Craze from them last month and received personal attention from start, through set-up, to finished arrows and on out the door. I had a similar experience just today while trying out a Craze and Riot (although I haven't pulled the trigger yet). Might want to give them a try again sometime, and hopefully you'll get better treatment.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live in town you might want to make sure you can shoot in your backyard. Some towns consider it the same as shooting a gun. Even if you are allowed to shoot in your backyard make sure you have a very good large back stop. You would be surprised how far a bad shot can go.

Yep--good advice. I had a vacant area behind my house for several years, and was semi comfortable shooting behind a 6 foot cedar fence. Never had one miss the backstop, but now there are houses there and I don't dare.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, it sounds like you had an atypical experience at OK Archery. My wife purchased a Mission Craze from them last month and received personal attention from start, through set-up, to finished arrows and on out the door. I had a similar experience just today while trying out a Craze and Riot (although I haven't pulled the trigger yet). Might want to give them a try again sometime, and hopefully you'll get better treatment.

Several years ago I bought an old bow and took it to OK Archery to get it set up. For a sale that was under $100, they went all out for me. Taught me a lot, gave me some free stuff and generally did the customer care thing right. I hope Brandi's experience was an anomoly.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I was thinking the same, try something new, aquire a new skill, have some fun.
But $1500 for a "starter set" ,Ill just get another caliber for the reloader, outta have a couple thousand rounds worked up.
Ill just borrow my friends ...if i need one.......loveyameanit

edit: OP I was looking at the 2013 PSE complete for about $350, I know it not, the best, but it looked like fun

schmeeking

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Field and Stream had a great write up in I think the July issue. it was the cover story, called your ultimate bow or something like that. They shot a lot of bows, in a lot of different styles. Try and get a hold of a copy. it'll give you some insight on what might be the best setup for what you want to do. The bow itself is only one piece of the puzzle, albeit the most expensive one. Outdoor life also reviewed some of the new bows and ranked them. That was the August issue I believe. Shoot a bunch before you buy, and find one that fits you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom