Are guns basically your only hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm like many here, several hobbies. The ones that has lasted is guns, dogs, and fixing things. I do like food and sometimes will cook or grill something. Was into books, gardening, woodworking, machining, and restoring old woodworking and metal working machines at one point. Try to be as self reliant as I can, but my old body doesn't allow for much like that anymore. I would probably say my current no. 1 hobby is drinking coffee with the dogs, and walking around the property in the mornings.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm like many here, several hobbies. The ones that has lasted is guns, dogs, and fixing things. I do like food and sometimes will cook or grill something. Was into books, gardening, woodworking, machining, and restoring old woodworking and metal working machines at one point. Try to be as self reliant as I can, but my old body doesn't allow for much like that anymore. I would probably say my current no. 1 hobby is drinking coffee with the dogs, and walking around the property in the mornings.
Still into books. Quit smoking when I found out I could get 5 used paperbacks for the cost of my 3 packs a day. That was $1.05 back then. PB's, used, were $0.20 a piece, and a nickel sales tax. Have probably 10k physical books, 13k ebooks in the mobi format, and nearly half a terabyte of non-fiction, mostly metalworking & gunsmithing. Read mostly F&SF, some history. And spend entirely too much time at it.

In the middle of overhauling a Themac J-3 tool post grinder. $235 for the hulk. About $12 for brushes, already have a can or two of break cleaner. About$16 for a new inline switch. Think I've already got about 20' of 3-wire 14ga. power cord. Originally 2-wire, no ground. Original cord is fragile, and the thing is oil-soaked. Haven't found a J-3 for sale new, but the J-35 is over $5k new. Not the same, but pretty close. Not something I could buy new, but will let me do a lot of things to restore my other machines.

My body is getting kinda rough, too. First hip replacement at 54, 2nd at 59. Been avoiding knee surgery since 19, and back surgery since late-40's. X-ray of my spine looks like karst limestone formations. Or like someone poured acid over them.

Last edited:

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. My main interest is playing music (mainly guitar). I guess you could say I have a guitar collection at this point.

I like to read as well.

I like guns. I’m not a collector. But the 10 or so guns that I have all get shot very regularly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom