Are we really alone in the universe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the universe being almost 14 billion years old I highly doubt we are "early bloomers". The earth is around 4.6 billion years old. Just think, there are probably many beings in the universe that are over a billion or more years more developed than us. Just think of how much more advanced another life form could be compared to us. The reason we can't find life is because the universe is HUGE. Other galaxies are so distant. Heck the next major galaxy (Andromeda) is 2.5 million light years away. That's just one of the estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe. I love reading about the universe, but it's very overwhelming to realize just how small of a speck earth is.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the universe being almost 14 billion years old I highly doubt we are "early bloomers". The earth is around 4.6 billion years old. Just think, there are probably many beings in the universe that are over a billion or more years more developed than us. Just think of how much more advanced another life form could be compared to us. The reason we can't find life is because the universe is HUGE. Other galaxies are so distant. Heck the next major galaxy (Andromeda) is 2.5 million light years away. That's just one of the estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe. I love reading about the universe, but it's very overwhelming to realize just how small of a speck earth is.

I guess you didn't bother reading the link.

Yes, the universe is 14 billion years old. However, the last stars won't burn out for another 100 Trillion years. According to estimates, only 8% of potentially habitable planets that will ever exist have already been formed. I think that estimate would definitely place us in the early bloomer category.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you didn't bother reading the link.

Yes, the universe is 14 billion years old. However, the last stars won't burn out for another 100 Trillion years. According to estimates, only 8% of potentially habitable planets that will ever exist have already been formed. I think that estimate would definitely place us in the early bloomer category.

You're correct I'm talking early bloomers in regard to when the universe started. The problem with the article is that they're assuming the universe will last until the stars burn out. The universe could collapse on itself tomorrow. So to say that the earth is an early bloomer is purely "presumptuous" as the author said. So unless the researchers have psychic abilities, to say the universe will be around for 100 trillion more years, or that the earth is an early bloomer is extreme speculation.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't you guys know that the lost city of Atlantis was a spaceship that landed in the ocean and floated around the world conducting experiments.
The most famous of which was Biosphere 183 called the Eden project which housed Adam & Eve until they had to leave Earth. So they just kicked them out packed their equipment and left.

* I really need to sell this story line to Hollywood.

I the Church of Scientology has already spewed that. And some of the hollyweird Nutjobs believed it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no compelling evidence one way or the other. Could it also be pointed out that the question is one that can only be answered with certainty one way? IOW we can only show that life elsewhere exists, not that it doesn't. Why? It is akin to proving a negative.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you consider the vast distances involved, it's no surprise we haven't found anything yet. Even the evidence of our existence in the form of radio waves has only traveled around 100 light years from earth. Plus these early signals would be weak and not in all directions. If an alien civilization had a telescope powerful enough to observe the earth from 65 million light years away, they would only observe dinosaurs. And we are in an entirely different location far, far away in space now as opposed to then. Every star you see in the sky is in varying degrees of the past.

I agree that most everything we see in space, is in some form, the past. However, open up your mind a little. Do you really think that aliens have the same technology we do and they literally will only see dinosaurs? I literally LOL'd. Some alien life forms could have technology that is light years (no pun intended) ahead of us. Give it some thought man, we are not the life forms in the universe. To think we are, is just plain stupid.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Space" is infinitely large, so they tell me.

We barely know what's at the bottom of our oceans so who knows what's "out there".

In the end it doesn't affect me one bit unless they show up to pay my bills or sell me cool guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom