Aspiring Gunsmith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of tech schools, especially distance learning, your job prospects are dependent on half credentials and half ability. You get out of it what you put in. If you're planning on going into business for yourself, your choice is fine. If you come out of it excelling in the trade, you'll probably also be fine. There are many titans of industry blue and white collar with less than grade-AAA schooling.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Taylor Rudd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any gunsmiths already in your area that specialize in what you’re wanting to learn? If so contact them and offer your services as an unpaid apprentice. Be willing to sweep the floors and empty trash and whatever else that might need to be done. That’s probably your best way to learn the craft. Also, there are very few gunsmiths making any real money to speak of. If this is a hobby / second job then you’re probably fine. If this is going to be your full time gig then be ready to skip a few meals, especially just starting out.
There are no smiths within a couple of hours from where I am now that I’m aware of. I’m retired army, and employed full time at a grain mill. This will purely be part time unless I feel like I have enough business to take it on full time and open up something.

Taylor Rudd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any gunsmiths already in your area that specialize in what you’re wanting to learn? If so contact them and offer your services as an unpaid apprentice. Be willing to sweep the floors and empty trash and whatever else that might need to be done. That’s probably your best way to learn the craft. Also, there are very few gunsmiths making any real money to speak of. If this is a hobby / second job then you’re probably fine. If this is going to be your full time gig then be ready to skip a few meals, especially just starting out.
I've got an old Enfield 1917 that's seen better days I could part with.

View attachment 179347 View attachment 179348 View attachment 179349 View attachment 179350 View attachment 179351 View attachment 179352

But I have to warn you it's been sportorized.

My phone number is (254) 589-5353, please feel free to contact me.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of tech schools, especially distance learning, your job prospects are dependent on half credentials and half ability. You get out of it what you put in. If you're planning on going into business for yourself, your choice is fine. If you come out of it excelling in the trade, you'll probably also be fine. There are many titans of industry blue and white collar with less than grade-AAA schooling.
My phone number is (254) 589-5353, please feel free to contact me.
How long a piece of stock can you get in your Lathe?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gentlemen and Ladies: Truth be told, you don't need college degree or a tech school education to be a gunsmith. All you need is a Federal Firearms Manufacturer License.

Woody
And customers. Who may or may not want to give you their firearm to work on if they don't think you have training, experience, or both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom