ATF troll on OSA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does this person even have access to the classifieds if he has zero posts???

No restrictions on browsing, just can't post.

Some forums won't let you PM until you get a specific post count, that isn't enforced here.

Back to the OP, those questions wouldn't concern me. For a transaction with a member I haven't dealt with, or haven't seen posts from, they are fair questions to make sure the seller is legit.

I would think it's less likely we would get trolled by a Government agency, and more likely we would get trolled by a media source, or anti gun person trying to make a case on private sales.

And I rarely, if ever answer a PM from a 0 post member, I typically only deal with established folks on here.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious thing happened this week so thought I would share to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I have a pistol listed in the classifieds. Older posting. Had a guy PM me, asking if it was still available. Said he lived in Edmond but gave a 918 number. No big deal as I thought maybe he just moved here or possibly a student. When I called him, the discussion started off with the normal questions you would expect of a buyer...though he threw in a couple other questions here and there that I found odd when combined with everything else.

1. Do you know the entire history of the gun?
2. What is your background?
3. Why are you selling it?

I told the guy that I'm the second owner, former LEO and am only selling it to recoup my money in order to build another rifle I've been wanting. He said he might want to see it...but that was 2 days ago and nothing since.

Now, here is another piece of this puzzle that stirs my suspicions. I didn't look at his profile at the time, but later noticed he is a new member with 0 posts.

Thoughts? Anyone else experienced this recently?

I have seen very similar things on Armslist, though it is very hard to tell if you are dealing with an inexperienced buyer, a shifty character, a reporter (may be in the last category by some definitions), or LEO. One guy posted a clear solicitation to sell a handgun across State lines without going through an FFL. I sent him a private email pointing out that he has asking for trouble - he thanked me then basically offered me a better deal because I had been helpful. I told him great but we have to go through an FFL in my State and he never replied.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does this person even have access to the classifieds if he has zero posts???

No restrictions on browsing, just can't post.

Some forums won't let you PM until you get a specific post count, that isn't enforced here.

[snip]

And I rarely, if ever answer a PM from a 0 post member, I typically only deal with established folks on here.

What SS said. I've been PM'ed a couple times by a zero-poster wanting to buy something I had for sale here; one was from out of state and offered to go through an FFL, and the other claimed he lurked but really had nothing to say. I declined their offers.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't sell firearms much, in fact I can only think of three I have sold in the last 53 years. Twice was through an FFL. The one other time was to an acquaintance. I asked the question, however, "Is there anything that would prevent you from legally owning a firearm". The answer was "no" so the transaction occurred. I don't know if there is any benefit / defense in asking that question but thought it certainly does not hurt my position of trying to comply with the law.

I generally ask a potential buyer/trader if he is willing to affirm to me that he knows of no reason why he can't legally buy or possess a firearm, and I warn in advance that will want to see a current ID to confirm State residency and age. That's about it - never had a problem though one fellow told me (via e-mail) that I was a tool of the ATF for asking what I do. He's entitled to his opinion and I am to mine...and mine was that I wasn't going to be selling him a gun.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time the OSA membership list was viewable and I'd guess that 95% of the screen names had fewer than 20 posts. There always seem to be more guests viewing the forum than members viewing.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 0 posts contact me about an old listing the other day. When I said I'd be willing to meet at Bass Pro in BA, he said he was traveling through from Florida and wouldn't be able to meet until next week. I told him I wouldn't be interested in selling to an out of state resident and never heard anything back. Kinda wondered if this was real or some type of entrapment attempt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom