Auto Dealership mechanic work.. a license to steal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can gain access to your transmission better if you whack out the floor board too! Chop holes in a bed for a two hour driveway job..... Kids these days.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. They said the repair should be done sometime tomorrow. Hoping there are not any surprises.

They'll call you and say, "you also need a wiring harness". You need a wiring harness. It'll only be a couple hundred more dollars, and it'll be here early next week.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like dealerships for transmission flushes - had a bad experience with so-called compatible transmission fluid used by an outside garage. Also if you need a new transmission the dealer warranty is good anywhere and that is a big plus.

Other than that I stay away from dealers.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the car designers build the cars purposely so that a shade tree mechanic can not work on it. Back in what my granddaughter tells me is the "old days" you could do almost all the work to a car or truck yourself.

Now with computer modules, miles of wiring and emissions wrapped around the engine, you can't even change the plugs anymore. I'm sure they're working on a way to make it a dealer service to change a tire as we speak.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck. $512.84 out the door for new fuel pump with lifetime warranty and a filter. No charge for the tow to the shop. It runs fine. I had inherited the truck from my father when he passed away about 2 yrs ago. Apparently he had never had the fuel filter changed in 86,000+ miles. It was almost completely stopped up.. it was difficult to blow air through-- which probably over worked the pump... causing it to go out. Probably didn't help that he bought his gas mainly at Walmart which contains 10% ethanol.

$339.53 for the fuel pump & a new filter.
$138 for the labor.
+ $5 for misc. [probably a gasket] and $29.71 for tax
----------
$138 for the labor... well worth it in my opinion.... as it had a full tank of gas, and the bed had a full tool box and a bed liner insert that would have had to be removed before the bed itself could have been lifted. As it was, they put it up on their lift, dropped the tank full and intalled the pump.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...you can't even change the plugs anymore.

I've got a Dodge Ram Megacab...huge truck. Zero time or desire to work on it myself. I called all the local mom and pop car shops in KC to get a full tune-up and due to it having 16 spark plugs (or whatever passes for plugs on that thing), the quotes were well over $1000.00. I finally called the dealer I bought it from out of curiosity, it was almost half the price. And they called me to tell me a couple things I wanted done didn't need to be done yet. I know it's unusual but it does pay to shop around, even on the little guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom