Ayn Rand & Objectivism: An Introduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what about her philosophy makes her a third rate hack exactly? I expected her to be well received on this forum full of pro right wing, pro capitalism, pro individuals freedoms, pro SMALL government people...which is exactly what she promoted in her books.
Objectivism is about as much a philosophy as Scientology is. Third-rate hacks are a dime a dozen, and consumer capitalism makes gods of them.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read her books several decades ago. I agree with much of her philosophy, but she comes off as pedantic, not to mention didactic, at least to me.
She will take 25 pages to make a point, grinding it ever more fine, until I just don't care anymore.
Then, two chapters later, she'll circle back around and take a few more whacks at that poor horse.

Which is why her novels are 900 pages. That's 900 pages of small type.

With no pictures.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read her books several decades ago. I agree with much of her philosophy, but she comes off as pedantic, not to mention didactic, at least to me.
She will take 25 pages to make a point, grinding it ever more fine, until I just don't care anymore.
Then, two chapters later, she'll circle back around and take a few more whacks at that poor horse.

Which is why her novels are 900 pages. That's 900 pages of small type.

With no pictures.

haha I know it. In Atlas Shrugged when John Galt takes over the radio station to spill the beans on everything I swear it took me 3 sessions get through that 1 speech which pretty much said the exact same thing page after page...

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I read Atlas Shrugged back around 1987 or so. She gets verbose.
Still, I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged more than The Fountainhead (which I read first).

The Fountainhead was made into a movie back in the late 50s or early 60s. Don't bother with it.
I wondered how they could get Rand translated to the screen; they didn't. The movie is nothing like the book.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She underwent surgery for lung cancer after years of heavy smoking and eventually died from heart failure. Since she died an atheist, she is now burning in Hell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom