back pain relief

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You girls can all come over to my house and I'll take care of you...

I have a jacuzzi bath built for two. I'll pour us a couple of nice glasses of wine, put on some relaxing music... candlelight and bubbles. All of your back pain will just melt away. You'll thank me in the morning on your way out the door while leaving behind nothing but your innocence and a sammich.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You girls can all come over to my house and I'll take care of you...

I have a jacuzzi bath built for two. I'll pour us a couple of nice glasses of wine, put on some relaxing music... candlelight and bubbles. All of your back pain will just melt away. You'll thank me in the morning on your way out the door while leaving behind nothing but your innocence and a sammich.

I don't have any back pain or any innocence left, but this is a tempting offer ... :lookaroun :anyone:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We the offer was really just for saddlebum and JB... but I suppose I could make an exception. I didn't want to seem chauvinistic. :lookaroun

Oh ... :lookaroun I am crushed ... :cry3: What girl in her right mind WOULDN'T want to get in a jacuzzi and drink a little wine with a bunch o' gun nuts?!!?

:lookaroun BTW, how many of you guys have 'staches?? :anyone:

:rollingla

okmods

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got this mattress from Amazon in January, a lot like the tempur-pedic, but a LOT less money: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088YV7XY
Since I got it I've lost ALL the lower back pain I had been putting up with for the last few years.
Mattress prices change week to week on Amazon, and I got this when it was $509, shipped two-day free using Amazon Prime. Amazon has a 30 day return policy, but I loved it.
The thing ships with air sucked out, rolled up in a sealed bag, and stuffed in a cardboard box, 99 pounds, delivered by Fedex. It's about three inches thick when you lay it out, you then cut the bag open and it expands to full size in a few hours.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to get three sets of steriod shots in my back, and I still have back pain but if I get to the Dr and get a steriod shot, some anti-infam, and ultram(does not make you lupey like narcotics). I can get in front of it and it was ease down quickly if not it is a long road to recovery.

So my advice is no matter the cost get to the Dr. and get it taken care of you can't afford to not go!

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suffered with lowet backpain for years, about 6 months ago I started doing yoga about thirty minutes a day .lt's made a huge difference I would recomend it doesn't cost anything to give it a try

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain, literally. My issues started in my early to mid twenties also and I didn't pay much attention to it until one day I developed a spasm that shook half my body and wouldn't stop. Went to see a neurologist that day because they said it was imperative that I go immediately. They did X-ray's and an MRI and it was so bad they scheduled the surgery within the week. He showed me all the X-rays and MRI films and even I could see it was really messed up. The neurologist said he'd never seen a case that bad where the person was still able to walk. I got a second opinion to be sure and that neurologist said if I didn't have the surgery immediately I would be paralyzed within a year. They diagnosed me with early onset degenerative disc disease and a ruptured disc.

I had the surgery and it helped immensely but within 3 years the degenerative disc disease had gotten much worse so I lived for years in unbearable pain because I had no insurance. Contrary to popular opinion there are no services to help the uninsured with medical costs. Several years later, it was so bad I could no longer walk, use the bathroom on my own or even get out of bed without help and the pain was unimaginable. All I had access to previous to getting insurance again was alcohol which I was drinking huge amounts to buffer the pain. Finally it was so bad I ended up in the ER for the third time and, fortunately had recently gotten insurance coverage, they told me I had to see a neurologist again because the x-ray's showed the damage was severe.

I got in to see the doctor and got another MRI. The neurologist said there was no other option except surgery but I wanted to avoid that so I tried the epidural steroid injections, they helped but the relief only lasted weeks, and a procedure where they use radio frequency or something through a spinal injection, again only short term relief. Finally I relented and did the surgery. This time it worked much better and the surgeon also found a rare congenital birth defect that meant the holes in my vertebrae where the spinal cord goes through were way too small so they had to bore them out to give the nerves room and not be constantly irritated.

Now, more years later, it's gotten bad again, I've developed bad arthritis in my spine and I've spent the last several years on extremely strong medications just so I can move. The side effects are terrible (I won't get into that) but the only option is a third surgery which will consist of fusing vertebrae together using a bone graft from my hip and then using a titanium "erector set" building a cage around it all until the vertebrae fuse, at which point in another surgery they will remove the hardware. This surgery is extremely invasive, painful, expensive (even with insurance) and requires a lot of physical therapy afterwards which is why I've been putting it off but it is inevitable.

The reason I write all this is to emphasize to you that you find any way possible to get the medical treatment you need before it gets worse, because it will get worse. Don't take chances.

As far as helping with pain in the meantime I highly recommend a good memory foam adjustable bed (mine is a Simmons "Comfor-pedic" which is like a Tempur-pedic but has much firmer edges so you can't roll out of bed when you get close to the edge and it won't hold body heat like the Tempur-pedic"). They are expensive but if you can afford the cost you'll wonder how you survived without one.

The "Hang Up" inversion tables are great for most people but it's best to ask your doctor if it's good for you (in my case it would cause much more damage). We have one and my bff uses it often to help with her back problems.

A "TENS" unit which is a small device that allows you attach wires to your pain area and basically massage it with electrical pulses. It can trick the pain receptors and ease the pain. It doesn't always work like that but it always feels good (as long as you don't turn it up too high because then you'll do a Mexican hat dance in a quarter second.

A jacuzzi or hot tub wish jets (not an option for everyone). We had a jacuzzi tub installed in the house when remodeling the bathroom and it certainly can relax you which can help with pain, if I had the means for a full size hot tub I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Medication...you say you have meds but want to stay clear headed at work. When my meds aren't working well enough I'll supplement with ibuprofen. You can buy it over the counter obviously but, oddly, an 800 mg tablet requires a prescription. I was prescribed the 800's to help with post root canal pain and it worked surprisingly well. My doctor gave me the OK to use the 800 ibuprofen when needed and it really works. It's not for long term use because of the potential side effects but "as needed" it works great and won't affect your actions otherwise. Ask your doctor about using the prescription strength for pain.

Don't take any chances..I'm talking from experience. Find a way to get insurance (however you can because the longer you wait the worse it will be) and seek treatment. If you've been diagnosed at your age (like I was) you are going to have a real hard road ahead of you if you don't. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom