Bad Experience At Big Boys Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
A commercial range I frequented, had been in existence for 10 years. A developer bought property on East side and built homes. The residents complained, took case to court.

Judge said range was well established when they moved in. He was legal to operate.

Developer bought North side. Repeat complaints. Range sent copy of court ruling to every house.

Developer bought South property. More complaints, nothing changed.

Developer bought West property. Tried to get City Council to intervene. Range threatened to sue City. Judge backed him.

Developer starts to try to buy him out. Rallies home owners to harass range. Show up at City Council.

Range owner was ready to retire. Told Developer that he was willing to sell, at 2 1/2 times appraised price. Developer paid it.

He moved 8 miles, bought property, built new range, with plenty left over.
The funnier thing is the developer MUST clean the lead from the property. That's probably several million.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The funnier thing is the developer MUST clean the lead from the property. That's probably several million.
That may be up for discussion as to who may be responsible, and I'm interested in seeing the responses.
This is the EPA's response for existing ranges.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/epa_bmp.pdf
Going back about 25 years or so, our company contracted with another company to remove and properly dispose of our waste oil and fluids.
They picked them up weekly and took them to OKC.
A couple years later we were informed they were putting them into drums and buried which was totally illegal. Made the national news. We were not the only customers.
Our company was informed by the EPA that we were responsible for our waste from birth to death.
So, when the illegal dump was found, we had to pay millions along with other companies to clean up the area. The company that scammed us were fined into oblivion.
Everybody was claimed by the EPA to be at fault some way somehow.
Are areas containing encapsulated lead on a range different from oil and wastewater/oils? I don't know. Again, open for discussion.

Edit: There are lead reclaimers that will come to a range to recover the lead. How they do that and the ramifications of EPA compliance I don't know, but there are people out there that do that.
I shoot reclaimed shot shell lead for short range plinking on clays.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guys at Lexington pulled the dirt out of the berms, screened it and put it back. They took the lead with them and charged the state for it. It was a pretty simple process. But I'm guessing since they came from like North Dakota, there's licenses and permit stuff that needs to be done. It can't be as simple as they made it seem.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SuperFund sights were (and still are) in existence, costing companies $Ms for clean up.

The disposal companies that done the dumping, walked away rich and free.

The lead clean up is fairly simple.
Excavate the berm. Screen the dirt. Return dirt to berm. Or in case of closure, the berms are removed, anyway.

Trap and skeet ranges are vacuumed. Reclaimed shot is a good business.

Ernie rebuilt his berms every year. This trap and skeet ranges were done 4-5 times a year. He usually had a list of people waiting to buy shot and lead.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait...you mean to tell me, that you can't fire faster than a round a second there? Is this common at most indoor ranges?

giphy-3.gif

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same could be said for OKC gun club for the most part. I’m not a member there now since I don’t shoot very often. I understand why ranges have rules. What I don’t understand is poor customer service and uncaring attitudes by retail range employees that are charging for their service. Thinking back on this incident I could have handled it differently by slowing down way under 1 round per second. She could have handled it differently by not shirking off my comment about the ice and being more courteous about why she thought I was shooting too fast. She definitely should not have lost her temper and told me to “pack my ****”. The Manager was nice and polite enough but was worthless when it came to making any decision. I suspect she’s a problem employee and very likely a relative of someone in charge. Maybe not.
I'm not certain,but I think she maybe the owners daughter. My sister was friends with the wife and I was around them some years back. I was excited when they opened the new Big Boys store but after 2 or 3 visits I knew I wouldn't be going back. I traded with them often at the little store in wheatland but some thing change when they moved into the new one

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait...you mean to tell me, that you can't fire faster than a round a second there? Is this common at most indoor ranges?

View attachment 254825
Not only that but a second to you may not be a second to them since they said they don’t have a timer. Kind of strange since they hold multiple pistol matches there. They also allow more than 1 shot per second at the matches. Oh well, I’ll never shoot or purchase anything there again. A shame too since it’s a nice indoor range that is never crowded.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm not certain,but I think she maybe the owners daughter. My sister was friends with the wife and I was around them some years back. I was excited when the opened the new Big Boys store but after 2 or 3 visits I knew I wouldn't be going back. I traded with them often at the little store in wheatland but some thing change when they moved into the new one
Makes sense. She definitely doesn’t want to be there or give a hoot about providing customer service.

shelshy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Big Boys last week and was shooting faster than a round a second and the RSO looked at me and said “good shooting”. He may have seen my badge etc when I went in but I’ve never had issues in there. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ve never seen anybody in there with pink hair or a male with a nose ring either.
Sorry you had a crummy experience

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Even worse when the rules aren’t enforced the same for everyone and by every safety officer. As most of us know, unless they are shooters, many cops can’t shoot any better than civilians. I’m not a great shot but I’d put my pistol skills up there in a friendly little lunch wager against 90% of them. I was there on a Wed morning, 6 days after the snow storm. Pink haired girl was behind the range counter with another older guy and the manager with the nose ring was on the gun sales side before he came over to chat. I’m glad you had a good visit. Wish I would have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom