Beaver Attack in Durant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone seet this? Wow, I hope the kid is alright. I wonder if they are located very near a waterway? I couldn't imagine being bit by those ugly yellow teeth of theirs. I would be very surprised if it had rabies, I would think this would be fairly common if there were more run ins with beaver, but by their nature, they avoid close encounters with people.

60-Pound Beaver Attacks Boy In Oklahoma
State Health Officials Testing Animal For Rabies
Posted: 1:34 pm EST December 23, 2009
Updated: 2:50 pm EST December 23, 2009

Comment On This Story ››

DURANT, Okla. -- The Oklahoma State Health Department is preparing to test a 60-pound beaver for rabies after it bit a small boy outside an apartment complex in southern Oklahoma.

Tammy Lane said her 5-year-old son went outside to get the family cat on Saturday. But instead of finding a feline, he was attacked by a beaver after trying to pet the animal, according to KOCO-TV in Oklahoma City.

"I heard screaming. I went to see what was happening. His leg was pretty bad," Lane said.

She rushed her son to a local hospital and called police.

"They didn't believe it was a beaver. They thought it was a raccoon," Lane said.

However, Lane's boyfriend took a photo of the beaver after he beat it with a crowbar.

A Durant Police Department spokeswoman said this was the department's first report of a beaver attack.

"We get our share of dog bites, cat bites. This is our first one for beavers," police Lt. Carrie Wyrick said.

Lane said the 60-pound beaver was bigger than her 42-pound son and could have easily carried him away. The animal bit a chunk out of the boy's calf.

"My biggest worry is that he has rabies, and I don't know. Nobody knows," Lane said.

Health Department officials said rabies in beavers is rare. Workers planned to test the beaver on Wednesday.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never trust beavers! They can be fun, but you must be careful. I see them often when fishing. You can smell them sometimes when they are near. If they are undistracted, I will use my rod and poke them. I always fish with a medium to heavy rod, as they work better, so I'm not afraid to poke them hard.
Once you have the beaver secured, you must know how to prepare them. I prefer to get rid of the hair, as it can cause problems while eating them. I prefer to eat my beaver with the hair off. Some don't mind it, but I do.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never trust beavers! They can be fun, but you must be careful. I see them often when fishing. You can smell them sometimes when they are near. If they are undistracted, I will use my rod and poke them. I always fish with a medium to heavy rod, as they work better, so I'm not afraid to poke them hard.
Once you have the beaver secured, you must know how to prepare them. I prefer to get rid of the hair, as it can cause problems while eating them. I prefer to eat my beaver with the hair off. Some don't mind it, but I do.

Patrick, I'm not sure I would classify the little pocket fisherman a medium to heavy rod.:lmfao:

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MUhahhaha.....

Seriously though. I was once the victim of a Beaver attack. :hithead: Paddling across a pond and this huge beaver comes up and starts slapping the water with his tail. He scratches at the canoe and I start hitting it with an oar. The dadgum thing goes to the front of the canoe and chews a hole in the tip of the canoe. WE SINK!!

I was scared to death that thing was after me so My Dad and I swam as fast as possible. We were in around 5 feet of water. Whew!! Made it to shore. That beaver did not last long when we came back with a Glock though.
:loser:
Dadgum Beaver.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever possible, you should always take a photo of the beaver, video is even better. You know, for identification purposes later....:lookaroun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom