Before I report this,, Should I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple comes into the store with a couple of very old Winchester 1893's and one of them has a barrel of only 14 inches.
I told him I could not have it in the store unless he wanted to make it legal and he said he wanted it just the way it is but wanted a few parts repaired and an apprasial.
I made him take it out of the store!

What would you have done?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
CYA, my man.

I don't know about reporting it... that's something else entirely. Maybe there is someone else here on OSA who could help him. Maybe it could be registered as some kind of historical artifact to allow it to remain as-is?

I dunno, I'm just spouting off because my post count isn't high enough.

Bhop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lmao @ trdoc. I wouldnt report him.but would have done as you did. then educated them about the legality issues of it and asked them to get squared away with the atf then bring it back with the documentation from the atf for any repairs needed.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried to make him understand that it would be best to just put a full length barrel on it but he wanted it short.
He also said that he had decided to keep it because it was so cool but he would not license it because it would have to be engraved.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have him take it out of the store, then find out what parts he needed. If available, sell him the parts to fix it. Educate him about the possibility of committing a felony that could result in 10 years in prison and a $250.000.00 fine and the loss of your license. Also educate him about the proper way to register and possess such a firearm.

You have to protect yourself and your business, but there is no harm in educating customers. The next time BATFE comes in for a visit, ask them about the "requirements" of reporting such an incident.

Latest posts

Top Bottom