Before I report this,, Should I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guys, the factory original Winchesters are legal to own, it doesn't have anything to do with it not being a firearm. Every few months one sells on GB with an ATF letter for upwards of 6k. It has to be a factory original gun though, you can't just take a rifle from that era and chop the barrel.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week I saw an episode of "NRA Guns & Gold" - I think it was at the Tulsa Gun Show. One of the guns being appraised was a Winchester 1892 Carbine with a 14" barrel. They didn't say anything about date of manufacture or legality of the carbine, though. Matter of fact, they didn't ven say what caliber it was thought that was kind of curious.

A firearm that has been modified to an illegal length can be bad business - like with the setup of Randy Weaver.

Cedar Creek

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to make him understand that it would be best to just put a full length barrel on it but he wanted it short.
He also said that he had decided to keep it because it was so cool but he would not license it because it would have to be engraved.

Well that makes it sound like he knew exactly what it would take to make possession legal, and he wasn't interested in that. I'd be pretty damned short about him getting the hell out of my shop with his illegal gun and to never come back.

As for reporting it, unless he gave you his name and address, I don't see what there is to report.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SECTION III: Weapons Removed From The NFA As Collector's Items And Classified As Curios Or Relics Under The GCA (pages 34-42).

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-11/atf-p-5300-11.pdf

Where you can get in trouble is. While hundreds or thousands of 14+15" trappers were made, the only ones removed from NFA registration requirements are the ones listed by serial number in this book. And that's not very many.
Most people just ran out and had them rebarreled rather than registering them.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don,

I think you did the right thing. I would't want anyone in my place of business, or anywhere near me for that matter, that wasn't even interested in following the law.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... factory made, pre 1932, preferably with a factory letter are the primary factors?

Seems they made everyone who had a SBR/SBS identify those guns in the '30's. I knew a old fella who lost a (now) rare Marbles Game Getter that was given to him as a child (he's nearly 100 today) because it was to short back when the laws changed in the 30's

The shortest factory Winchester Lever action Ive seen was a '92 that was shipped with a 11 inch barrel. Way out of my price range.

BTW Don... good call...no telling what kind of trouble that guy could have caused you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom