Before I report this,, Should I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There were several old Winchesters made with short barrels. They are legal to own but he needs to research the gun to make sure it's factory original and then he might have to get the ATF involved. If I had one of those old rifles I'd do everything I could to make sure I kept it that way. Pretty rare and valuable guns.

In short, I'd tell him to do legwork proving that his gun is factory original and then call the ATF to get a letter stating that.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were alot of old short barreled rifless that are exempt from before 1900. Just like not all guns have serial numbers. Wasnt a law till the 60s. If it was made before 1900 it isnt required to meet those regs of after 1900.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There were alot of old short barreled rifless that are exempt from before 1900. Just like not all guns have serial numbers. Wasnt a law till the 60s. If it was made before 1900 it isnt required to meet those regs of after 1900.

I was thinking the same thing.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Like what? Game getters and Handy guns are post 1900 and aren't exempt. I'm tasking my brain to think of any others but coming up blank.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a link

http://www.rawles.to/Pre-1899_FAQ.html

Basicaly if it is made before 1900 / 1899 its not a firearm and not recognizable to the ATF. BS laws dont apply

Your link says this:

ANY gun manufactured before Jan. 1, 1899 (other than a machinegun or other NFA category, such as a short barreled gun) is NOT controlled in any way by Federal law

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a link

http://www.rawles.to/Pre-1899_FAQ.html

Basicaly if it is made before 1900 / 1899 its not a firearm and not recognizable to the ATF. BS laws dont apply

From the link : ANY gun manufactured before Jan. 1, 1899 (other than a machinegun or other NFA category, such as a short barreled gun) is NOT controlled in any way by Federal law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom