Before I report this,, Should I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you are right that it was a hack saw job, and not a factory length barrel that is exempted, I would have politely informed him of the law and the possible penalties, and told him that you can't take possession of it with that barrel unless you are going to be fixing it for him. I would have told him that the law makes it a crime simply to be in the knowing possession of such a firearm, so it would put me in jeopardy to take possession of it. And if he did decide to give it to you to be made legal, I would remove the short barrel from the receiver ASAP once he dropped it off, before you went off to do work on other guns or something. On the off chance that a fed decides to show up for an inspection, you don't want something like that just laying around!

I would never even dream of informing the ATF on anyone though, since I believe all these laws are violations of our natural, inalienable rights and unconstitutional to boot. In fact, I would hold anyone who did narc to the ATF in very low esteem, and would never do business with them in the future.

That's my $.02 anyways.

sky428

T2 Armory
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know we are talking about a very old firearm but I would not have taken a chance. I would explain my concerns and ask him to remove the firearm from the premise just in case. I think I would have probably asked for the serial number and model details then try to research it and see if I could identify an exemption for it. But only after I found documented proof that it was legal would I have allowed it in my shop. Too many people have been in big trouble even with the best intentions! Most likely a call to the ATF could get to the bottom of it, but then the gun might be confiscated or worst case scenario an overzealous agent could overreact and try to arrest someone. Although I highly doubt that would happen.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though I am not the nark type person. I would report it if I had a FFL. I would not want to take the chance of losing it over one firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom