Bell's Palsy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've known a couple of men that have had this. One was never able to regain the affected side. The other is a 37 yr old and just had surgery to remove a tumor that his original Dr had missed, for two years. His original Dr had diagnosed it as Bell's Palsy. Anyways, he sent me picture yesterday, after he regained some coherence, and the droopy side of his face is now 90% recovered. It sure is good to know that they can call their profession a practice. Props to Dr that found the real problem.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Bell's is almost always 2° some kind of disease process...usually viral but can really be ANYTHING that causes impingement or swelling of nerve tissues. I've had it, it sucks.

Your friend's was 2° to a tumor it seems. That doesn't mean anything other than it was probably 2° to a tumor. But it might have been 2° to a viral infection and a follow up found the tumor. You just don't know and you probably will never know.
There is no known cause for Bell's and you can't do anything about it except to let it run it's course.
I had to dig in my Merck to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke

Contrary to popular opinion, medicine is more of an art. Everybody is different and docs aren't mechanics. But since everyone seems to think that docs are people mechanics and medicine a defined science, they sue the crap out of them and cause them to get insured by places like Lloyd's of London. This in turn causes them to be reluctant to do real medicine and instead go through batteries of tests and varied opinions from colleagues and charge the living dogs*** out of insurance to cover their asses because the probable malpractice suit that some slug is gonna bring on them. Most of these "victims" have multiple scripts and doctors for the same ailments and the docs are always all f'd up.
But hey, doctors are not as smart as the patient and they only want to stick it to them. lol That's why the week I retired, was the last week I ever did any medicine and canked all efforts to pursue any civilian APP route. F that. Night vision and weapons are much more satisfying than dealing with whiny pts. Have a nice day.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contrary to popular opinion, medicine is more of an art. Everybody is different and docs aren't mechanics. But since everyone seems to think that docs are people mechanics and medicine a defined science, they sue the crap out of them and cause them to get insured by places like Lloyd's of London.

Yup, can confirm. At rates that would make everyone here blush.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Malpractice insurance premiums are very specialty specific for obvious reasons-as doing procedures entails more risk. It also varies based on licensure level.
For docs, an OBGYN can be 50K/yr or more-while a peds/IM doc ins might be only12K/yr.
For NP’s/PA’s it’s much lower like 2-6K/yr, again depending on the specialty.
Typical RN‘s, Paramedics, RT’s & PT’s are much lower at around 1-200/yr.
People may complain about the cost, but they are sure glad they have it when they have to go in for that deposition.

Last edited:

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had B P the left side of my face got really cold. Docs told me lots of truck drivers get it rolling down the window to stay awake. The left side of my face of sagged down & was so dizzy had to lean on my wife to get to doc office. Was going to ear nose & throat doc for ever. Finally went to family doc gave me a old penicillin . Cured me right up.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bell's is almost always 2° some kind of disease process...usually viral but can really be ANYTHING that causes impingement or swelling of nerve tissues. I've had it, it sucks.

Your friend's was 2° to a tumor it seems. That doesn't mean anything other than it was probably 2° to a tumor. But it might have been 2° to a viral infection and a follow up found the tumor. You just don't know and you probably will never know.
There is no known cause for Bell's and you can't do anything about it except to let it run it's course.
I had to dig in my Merck to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke

Contrary to popular opinion, medicine is more of an art. Everybody is different and docs aren't mechanics. But since everyone seems to think that docs are people mechanics and medicine a defined science, they sue the crap out of them and cause them to get insured by places like Lloyd's of London. This in turn causes them to be reluctant to do real medicine and instead go through batteries of tests and varied opinions from colleagues and charge the living dogs*** out of insurance to cover their asses because the probable malpractice suit that some slug is gonna bring on them. Most of these "victims" have multiple scripts and doctors for the same ailments and the docs are always all f'd up.
But hey, doctors are not as smart as the patient and they only want to stick it to them. lol That's why the week I retired, was the last week I ever did any medicine and canked all efforts to pursue any civilian APP route. F that. Night vision and weapons are much more satisfying than dealing with whiny pts. Have a nice day.

Quoted for truth -- fully half of the malpractice cases that came across my desk were families suing for a loved ones death ... And the loved ones' relative didn't follow the doctors' directions ... 🤷 They didn't show up for treatments, misused or didn't take medications, etc. It was NUTS ... And 90% of them got nuisance settlement money. It was infuriating. 🙄🙄

Latest posts

Top Bottom